March 2019 and the view from my studio

Hi all. In october 2018 I completed the construction of my new house and studio, we were 4 months. The studio I think of as "The Crows Nest", well unofficially anyway. :D With an awesome view. My ceilings are 9' up to 14'. Here old Bertha sits, my home built loom.  I have added three 7' tall cupboards for yarn since this photo and rearranged some tables for sewing and serging.

I did weave a few items before and after Christmas, they are posted. Erica and Oli are piecing things back together and now we can finally post images and do our project and draft pages again. A ton of work I guess reconnecting things. But it's time to move foreward and hopefully folks will find their way back.

Come on in and let us know what your working on at the loom. :)

Here is a video of me weaving warp pile.

Another of me pulling yarn of a spool, and no twist.

Have a good one. ;)

Comments

Posted on Fri, 03/08/2019 - 23:10

A view of Mount Katahdin from the studo window back in February. Another crisp morning here at -2 F.

I have been planning a mohair throw using Harriville shetland for warp and either doubling the mohair silk or winding together with some shetland onto ski shuttles. Not sure I have enough mohair for doubling. Planning on 10 epi in the reed. That will be on hold a bit until I finish up some wood work, which I have been spreading out over the winter. I'm sanding right now by hand, and that is quite a work out. :D

Posted on Fri, 03/08/2019 - 16:28

One of our sons left Denmark 4½ years ago and vent to Australia. He left a lot of his clothes an other stuff at our home. There is a bunch of T-shirt and I have decided to use them for a rug.

We are going to Australia for a wedding next year.

Posted on Sat, 03/09/2019 - 14:53

You did a great job Grethe, looks like you captured it.

I am saving material as time goes on for some rugs. I have not been to yard sales, just materials at home since I had the contents of 3 homes to deal with over the last 6 years. At those yard sales or flee markets one must really consider what the cost per yard is. If the used item is marked $5-10 and there is barely a yard or even if there is 1-1/2 yards, it really is not a deal for rugs. New material can be had at $3-4 a yard and no waste. Thank goodness for Marden's surplus and salvage stores near by. :) Most what you see in thrift or global textile outlets is polyester, polyester, polyester. ;)

See ya

Posted on Fri, 03/08/2019 - 23:17

My yarn cupboards I installed after Christmas for $100 each. Cheap and effective. Doesn't look like a lot of yarn, but I emptied 6 - 50 lb totes. A small fortune. :D

Notice the inkle up top.

Happy weaving.

If your not seeing notifications it's because that part is broken at the moment. Hopefully, it gets resolved soon. :)

Posted on Sat, 03/09/2019 - 16:14

Hi Reed Guy,

Your studio is knock-down-drag-out gorgeous.  The view is lovely, but having grown up a flatlander in Michigan,  I have found (my husband and I spent a week touring thr Olympic penninsula with my brother and his wife) that mountains are pretty, but very inconvenient.

I thought I saw a draft for 24 shafts that you had posted.  Am I misremembering?  Have you gotten into dobby looms?  Electronic dobbies are addictive.

Posted on Sun, 03/10/2019 - 10:59

BWSD, thanks for the nice compliment on the studio. Yeah the mountian there is at quite a distance, probably 55 miles away. I am closer to a smaller one called Mars Hill, 3 miles off. There is a little town at the bottom of the same name. It is in the state of Maine. The terrain here is rolling mostly with large farm fields. But when your on the tops of knolls you see a fair distance for sure. The picture was with telephoto lens. My woodland up the road from here is flat as a prarie farm field. :)

I'm always doodling in Fiberworks with more shafts than I have. :) And no, I have no dobby or jacquard, but have been planning on adding a drawloom bridge and 4 more shafts (to give 12) and whatever shafts needed for the drawloom. Whatever I add will be self made. Commercial made equipment is too pricey for me. Used for sale stuff around here is like looking for gold in the desert. :)

Have a nice day.

Posted on Sun, 03/10/2019 - 03:22

Making your own drawloom isn't as hard as you think, and you can get a lot of information on it.  Go to Sally Eyring's website and see if she will send you the booklet that she gave out to peiple that took her seminar on building your own drawloom at Complex Weavers' last summer in Reno.  Good instruction, lots of pictures.  I took it, but then AVL sent out notification that they were doing a 25% off sale on used looms, and I fell hard for a 48" 24 shaft TDL.  Have just warped it backwards (not easy, but this can be done if you are persistant) and am threading all 24.   Now I have to get the brake to work backwards.  I have done this before.  Eventually I will put a big sign on it; COUNTER CLOCKWISE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I'll set the brake on the other AVL frontwards and put the same sign on it

Posted on Tue, 03/12/2019 - 04:26

Sorry, we were simply interested in Sally's concept. We are swamped with stuff to do and are not going into production of anything new. We do offer plans for an extension on the Lilla for people wanting to make it into a drawloom and sell the assorted small parts as well as offer lessons. That's enough for mom and pop who are feeling their age.