I bought an old 4H 4T 36" HD early this month for $50 and have been restoring it. After several blisters and a sore body, I'm putting it back together and could use a visual on how the breaking system is set up.
I'll post some photos when it's all done if there is any interest.
I still have the harnesses to sand & finish, a reed to finish cleaning the rust off of, and harness cables to make..... It's looking pretty good so far, and I'm happy with the progress.
Hope you all had a wonderful weekend.
Pics of brake system
I have pic from original manual and also actual loom. Just can't seem to get them uploaded!!
You can always send a PM
Send a Private Message (PM) to Davie asking for his "real" email. Then you can email the photos directly to him. To find the PM option, select his photo above, and you will be taken to his profile page. Scroll down and select "send a message".
There are also tutorials under the help menu for uploading images to conversations like this one. I am sure it would be helpful for others who follow this conversation if you can take the time to load the images here.
FYI, I am unsure if you can do load from a tablet, but I know you can load from a phone or computer.
Dave, I'd love to see pictures. Thanks.
Thank you for responding
I'll post photos when I'm finished with everything.
Had to make new feet for the castle and a new treadle assembly.
The treadle assembly is bullet-proof now and is more foot-friendly.
I also made a custom break release just because I could.
Thank you for sending photos-
Break on HD loom
Here's the manual version.
The new brake release handle vs. the stock handle.
Thank you again
HD photo & a couple of upgrades
I resized some photos and thought I'd post them for Heartland Weaving.
Here's the beast 95% done.
The treadles and the connecting rod were damaged, so I made some new ones that should hold up nicely. the treadles and spacer blocks are 3/4" x 1 1/2" ( 20 mm x 38 mm) the end blocks are 3/4" x 1" ( 20 mm x 25 mm) This gives me a slightly wider treadle (for comfort) while still having enough room for my big feet to treadle.
I also came up with an easy fix for the traveling HD blues...
There is an issue with harnesses coming unhooked and cable craziness ensuing with these looms, so I made some cable keepers. I use BoRuo brand elastic stretch polyester string cord ( 1 mm) with little lanyard hooks on each end that gets clipped to the cable eye as shown. The cord length is roughly 2/3 rds the width of the harness. I imagine one could simply tie the cord to the cable eye, but I like the little clips. With these keepers in place, the cables can be removed from the hooks and they are pulled tight and held in place on their pulleys. No messy cables!! I did this quite a few times just to make sure I didn't set myself up for hate mail. Hope this helps make traveling with your loom a little easier.
Thanks again for the help on the breaking system. I've been learning quite a bit here at Weavolution. A great big THANK YOU to all you teachers who share your valuable time & knowledge.
Have a great week everyone.