This was another run of towels to give as gifts. The warp stripe arrangement is different from the previous warp but the draft is the same. This elf had to work overtime to finish these by Christmas.
This was my "warp from hell" - I can't believe how much went wrong while
making this. First, I got through about 3/4 of the warping (504 ends)
when I realized that I'd made a mistake and dropped about 8 threads
from the pattern way back at the beginning. Well, there was no way to
just added heddles and fix that, so I pulled it out and started over
almost. This was my first warp on my new-to-me countermarch loom, and
so if you saw my posts about that you know I had a lot of trouble
setting up the loom for the first time. (Varpapuu loom)
Well, I finally got the loom warped and started weaving. First I wove a
little sample to make sure the threading was right. I left some
spacers in for the fringe and started weaving. Then I realized much
too late that I'd made a mistake too far back to re-weave it, but no
matter. The warp was plenty long so I ended that section and started
over with a new piece. Ops, another mistake realized too late, so I
ended that, added spacers and started over AGAIN! And as if that
wasn't enough it happened once more! Finally, I was able to do the
piece I wanted - a 48" table runner. When that was done I just wove
off the rest of the warp with the middle part of the design and in a
couple of colors. I'll use that for some sewing project later. Good
thing I had a 5 yard warp to start with. I lost a lot in just fringes.
So, I twisted the fringes and washed all the pieces. Then while
ironing, I discovered a very subtle threading error! It's so subtle,
that I didn't see ti while weaving, I didn't see it while twisting the
fringe, I didn't see it until after the piece was washed. I ironed it
hard and now the mistake is again difficult to see! But, I know it's
there which is maddening.
I do like the pattern, however, and may actually do this again. But
next time I will remove that first sample from the loom and take a
REALLY good look at it before continuing, because that threading mistake
could only be seen from the underside.
This really was a Hell-o-weave!
Another EZ Dye project. The natural (untreated) cotton should theoretically not accept the dyes if you don't use a mordant. I piece dyed these, after washing and hemming, with lac, cochineal, red, and yellow onion skins, without a mordant. The onion skins tint the untreated cotton pale yellow, but the pinks rinse out of the untreated white.
I wanted to create an art piece for our Landings Art Association’s Gift of Art Show at the Plantation. This piece was the end of a thick and thin cotton and linen warp. I used a variety of my handspun yarns as weft.
In order to create the line drawing, I stretched the cloth on 9x9 inch canvas stretchers and then stitched into it with black wool/mohair blend yarn. I outlined the small square with stitches and then created a warp of the yarns and needle wove into it to create the woven square.
I did not like the edges of the woven piece showing on the stretcher so I added some black ultra suede to cover them… Right side against the stretcher wood, a piece of cardboard the size of the wooden stretcher side stapled down on top of the cardboard. Then I folded the ultra suede over the cardboard and pulled it to the back of the stretcher and stapled it. it created a nice frame effect, but I wanted a mat-like look. I purchased some 1/4 inch plywood and had Home Depot cut it 13x13 and spray painted it black. I tacked it to the back of the stretchers with 1/2 inch brads. because I wanted the piece to stand out from the wall I covered 2 inch by inch foam core pieces with some ultra suede and hot glued it together and to the back of the piece.
Displaying handwoven art pieces is ALWAYS a challenge.
This draft was taken from Best of Weaver's Twill Thrills. I modified it to suit myself though, so it's slightly different.
This is run #2 of this series. This time I’m using brighter colors and a little bit of a heavier beat to test the hand in comparison to the first run. Pictures to come!
About 3/4 of the way through the third scarf my loom's electronic interface stopped working:( Louet has been fabulous about fixing it so quickly and I should have it back Tuesday!
The above measurments are w/o the 5" fringe on all sides. This is woven and fringe tied while still on the loom. When the blanket comes off the loom you only need to tie off the fringe attached to the front tie-on beam. I also wove a small car blanket on the remanding warp. Measurments to come. Blanket was threaded 2 threads per dent based on 15 epi (so 30 threads per 1 inch ). Worked best to wind double. I doubled the height of the block to make them larger. Make sure you have a strong thread to wrap your fringe around. I used a shoe lace tied to back and front beams. This is a Yarn Barn of Kansas pattern.