Out With The Old
MPD = Multiple Personality Disorder. This is a 4-way loom that I made from the terrible cradle that I found at the same time and place as the chair I used to make my Chair Inkle loom. I hope the baby wasn't put in this thing with the duct tape and missing spokes! It took me awhile to decide what to do with this one because it had so many different possibilities: warping reel, rigid heddle loom with treadles, various width possibilities, etc.. After I finally settled on this design it took very little time to make it.
What it is:
1) A frame to hold a backstrap loom in tension. Nothing much to this, just tie the front and back backstrap bars to the front and rear beams.
2) A cardweaving frame: also pretty simple. The warp can be rolled directly on the back beam, but I prefer to clamp the warp at the rear so I can untangle warp threads if need be. To do this I made a second rear beam bar that attached to the rear beam with bolts and wing nuts (see last picture). A piece of no-skid shelf liner keeps the warp from slipping in the clamps. Some card weaving looms have cup hooks at the back to tie off sections of the warp to make untangling easier. On this loom I can just tie them off to the spindles on the back of the frame.
3) A 4-shaft Thackeray style loom. This type of loom uses string heddle bars (similar to using a backstrap loom), but the brackets at the side hold the heddle sticks in the required up/down positions. Two bars fit in the lower front part of the bracket and two in the back when at rest. Some of you may recognize the pieces of wood that I used for the brackets from a kitchen rack loom I made last summer.
4) A rigid heddle loom with a built-in stand: I just have to obtain the rigid heddle and make brackets to fit. The brackets for the Thackeray style loom remove easily and I can bolt on the rigid heddle brackets instead.
I have an old reed that I thought about cutting down to make an underslung beater, but I was afraid that I would mess it up, and I may have some future use for the reed, which is a 45" 10 dent reed.
I'm pretty confident about how well this will work for everything above except for the Thackeray style loom. I don't have the right size dowels on hand so I'll have to pick some up next time I go to town. Then I'll make some of the string heddles that telaranha showed us. They are great!
After I test this out, I will probably paint the loom since it's not very pretty, or I might just sand some of the spots where the finish is marred and rub it with stain and tung oil. I won't do this yet, in case I have to make any changes.
The rear tension device is a plywood disc with holes drilled in it. A bolt through the frame and a hole in the disc will hold the tension fine, but because it doesn't "fine tune" very well if done at both ends, I made a tension knob for the front.
These crazy old furniture looms came about when I thought that a disassembled loom is "just a pile of sticks", so if I find a pile of sticks, I can probably find some way to turn it into some kind of weaving/spinning tool. I have parts for one more in the shed, and then I PROMISE not to do anymore unless I find a "pile of sticks" marked J.P. Bexell! (Maybe......)
I just added the last picture to show the tracks I made as I walked back and forth from my shed getting my loom parts and tools. Dedicated I am.