This is part of the project of naturally dyed yarns I'm planning to use on my Navaho loom. I began by first making all of the jelly (top right) and syrup (center front on ice cream) that I wanted! I then used some elder branches, both stems and leaves and got the tan color at the left. I used the berries that I had left and dyed the lighter lavender pink color 2nd from left. I liked this a lot, especially after getting a lot of golds, browns, and greens from the other dyeplants. I returned and got a LOT more berries and my next skein was the fuschia. The dyebath still seemed pretty potent, so I added my wood rasp (iron) to the pot and the next skein turned out a blue-grey color in natural light, but looks much more purple in incandescent lighting. I then cooked up a large quantity of leaves only, being careful to remove all of the brown woody stems. It was turning quite green, and I decided to stir the pot a few times with the wood rasp, very cautiously since I was afraid it might turn brassy green. I got a lovely grey-green color. The wood rasp is lying next to it. The bucket full of berries at the back are now turning into wine for shearing day next spring!
Photos at bottom are bark colors, described in "Trees, barks and leaves".