Ashford Rigid Heddle Loom Stand
I have been planning on making a stand for my 32" Ashford rigid heddle loom for some time and have mulled over various plans. This morning when I saw Kerstin's photo on My Corner of the World, inspiration struck. I had a 2' x 8' piece of weathered but sound 5/8" plywood. I gathered materials and tools and began my Saori style carpentry. After guessing at a good height and angle for the top, I began cutting. I had planned to use the board shown in the picture for a brace but after cutting the sides, I thought that the remaining piece of plywood might be long enough. I measured it and SERENDIPITY! - it was the EXACT length needed. I cut a piece off and then decided to use the remaining piece for a bottom. This would make it even sturdier and give it more weight. I then decided to use the two curved pieces cut from the sides for whatever it is that you call those things that I put along each side to make the base even less tippable. I found an 18" scrap of 1x1 and cut it in two to make supports for the loom. These will support the loom and make for less stress on the bolts that hold the loom frame in place, making it less likely for the loom sides to split. After assembly, it was functional but ugly, so I put on a coat of primer and cooked and ate dinner while it dried. (Thank you, Dave for the pasta recipe on your webpage, it was delicious!) I then painted a picture on one side, loosely based on Kerstin's photo. Tomorrow I will finish the painting. I already know what the other side will be, but am still thinking about the brace on the back.
I couldn't stop painting, so here's a picture of the other side.