Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
7 weavers online | help

8 Shaft Ms & Os for JHW Sample Exchange

Sally Orgren's picture
Ms&Os 8 shaft Draft
Weavemaker simulation of fabric
Project
Project Status: 
Finished
Project Date: 
Tue, 03/01/2016 - Sun, 02/12/2017
Yarn
Yarn:
Color:
Type:
Loom
Loom Used: 
Tools of the Trade
Number of Shafts: 
8
Number of Treadles: 
8
Sett: 
24.00 EPI
Length on Loom: 
6.00 yd
Width on Loom: 
20.00 in
Notes: 

Draft: Carol Strickler “A Weaver’s Book of 8 Shaft Patterns”, page 99, Draft #353

Weaves up fast and easy. I would have preferred to use all 10/2 cotton, but I did not want to order more of a single color, and Silk City had bamboo in the exact color I needed, on sale.The Bambu #12gg takes up slightly differently and has a slight sheen. Consider a tighter sett for a longer lasting towel if using this combination of yarns. The Bambu #12gg would pair better with16/2 cotton, which is where I started my project planning.

Finishing: Washing machine, warm+cold, regular cycle. Spin dry in dryer, cotton setting. Press with steam.

Length/Take Up: 4.4% Length/Shrinkage: 1.5% Length/Total: 6%

Width/Take Up: 3% Width/Shrinkage: 8 % Width/Total: 11%

 ---------------------

Weaving the Binding on a Towel or Blanket

This technique produces a self-binding hem for towels or blankets.

 

 

1)    Determine the size of the hem (Example: 1”)

 

2)    Weave slightly less than 1” in a finer weft than the planned project weft (Example: Project weft is 10/2, weave the first 1” in 20/2.) Use a plain weave treadling, as that creates the flattest / thinnest fabric possible.

 

3)    While the last shed is still open, place a slippery thread into the same pic. (Example: a thin rayon or silk yarn.)

 

4)    Weave the next 1” with your planned project weft.

 

5)    While the last shed is still open, place a second slippery thread into the same pic.

 

6)    Weave the final 1” in the planned weft. Do not pull out the slippery threads until the project is removed from the loom.

 

7)    Weave the body of the piece, and then repeat the process, in reverse, at the other end of the item.

 

 

8) When off the loom, press the piece, then pull the first slippery cord out. Fold on the void left by the thread and press the hem in place. The space created by the removal of the slippery cord is just enough to create a nice flat fold.

 

 

9) Pull the second slippery cord out, fold, and press in place. Secure the folded hem with pins for final sewing by machine or hand.

 

This technique results in a hem that is less bulky and lays flat. Hand stitching may be a better choice to give the piece a custom finish if entering the item into juried shows.

 

 The photo shows the final end of a towel project using the self-binding technique on the loom.

 

Once the pattern of the towel is completed, one inch of plain weave in the project weft was woven. In the final pic, a slippery yellow yarn was inserted with the regular project weft. Another inch was woven in the project yarn and another slippery yarn was inserted into the final pic. The last inch was woven with a weft yarn much finer than the project weft.

To remove the project from the loom, the last ¼” of woven fabric was “painted” with a mixture of glue and water, allowed to dry, and then the fabric was cut from the loom. This technique of applying a mixture of glue and water before cutting handwoven fabric can also be used to separate towels from each other on a long warp.

5
Your rating: None Average: 5 (2 votes)
ReedGuy's picture
Online
Joined: 01/13/2012
That's looks grand, nice job

That's looks grand, nice job and color. :)

up
0 users have voted.
ReedGuy's picture
Online
Joined: 01/13/2012
I have been helping to piece

I have been helping to piece together a really old M&O draft with honeycomb. One band of M&O alternates with one band of honeycomb in a quartet fashion. It seems to require 8 treadles on 4 shafts. Any I have seen in the Burnham book does not include honeycomb and thus only 4 treadles. It's interesting.  :)

up
0 users have voted.