A fabric project; Clan Johnston tartan for a kilt
Finally got the last of my yarn order this afternoon and have been chaining from warping frame with my 4 'favorite' colors. Updates will follow and I am trying to keep a photo history of the whole process.
Update : After two days of pulling off yarn, combining, and warping the loom I finally got to actually start weaving this evening after supper. This piece has 544 ends across and I sleyed it
3,2,2,2,2,3,2,2,2,2 on a 10dpi stainless reed. I do hope this will make the 8 yards of tartan I want for a kilt to be pleated and sewn. I did find that I will have to make room for and get a warping mill for future wide weave projects.
12-14 ,,,, this evening I measured around and multiplied by the number of layers what I have wrapped on the cloth beam and I figure I am up to 3 & 1/2 yards. No, I`m not finished yet.
12-17,,,, I had to quit - I ran out of blue on cones for weft runs but that`s OK as it turns out I have 7 yards and 10 inches of fabric. I am not that large so I do not need "the whole 9 yards".
I`ll take a break the rest of the evening and tomorrow start the layout and marking to begin pleating and pinning. Whew!
12-19,,,, still taking an extended break before starting to measure, pleat and pin - thought first to use up some of the scrap ends of yarn. I took just over half off of the warp beam and used it as weft to finish out an 11 inch wide 'banner' piece. At 40 inches long its too short to be a scarf. Now that this is complete procrastination has to stop and get back to the original project.
12-21,,,,worked most of yesterday with layout, measure, cut and starting to work out pleat sizes. Will not be working on the loom at least for a few weeks (I`ll let it have the Holidays off). Before bed time managed to get all but the last two pleats sewn. Got lots to do in order for this to be ready to wear Jan. 28th.
12-26,,,, Last update on this project. All of the major work is done, what I still have left to do is sew the inside lining, do some final steam pressing and lastly pull out the basting stitches that have been holding the pleats together. Looks like I`ll have my kilt (feileadh beag) ready for the Burns Dinner with time to spare.
1-9-2012 Now 'this' will be the last comment on this project. I finally got "all my stuff together" and dressed out so I could get my wife to take some final photos. I already kinda miss not working on another one but at the same time not quite ready to do it again too. Looks like I`m all ready for the Robert Burns Dinner and 20 days to spare.