bookmarks: first crackle attempt!
<p>My bookmarks are off-loom and mostly finished! (Some still need to be washed and trimmed. ) It's amazing how different they are before and after wet-finishing- it's so cool to discover the changes! The multicoloured tabby one is a silk weft: I wanted to do the crackle with it also, but the color changes are so short that the pattern just vanished in the colors, so it's just plainweave. I'm really looking forward to finishing that one and discovering how the silk changes, because that's the first bit of silk I've gotten to play with so far. The pale blue and the really pale violet ones are using crochet thread for the weft instead of the embroidery floss, so I'm curious to see how they react to washing. The three I've washed already were all floss wefts. I got seven bookmarks off of this warp and I could have gotten at least eight and probably nine (I ran out of patience. I wanted to give one to my boss this morning!). Definitely a fun project, and now I've got some thoughts on what to do differently in the future....</p><p>These were originally intended to be Christmas gifts, but I ran out of time- and ambition- about a week and a half before the 25th. I'm really enjoying working on them now, though! It's so much fun to do tiny little projects like these that I can get finished in an hour or so. These are my first try at a crackle draft, and also my first pathetic attempts at hemstitching. (The learning curve seems to be fairly steep, thank God, but needle crafts have never been something I enjoyed.) To my great joy, I discovered that an embroidery floss skein contains almost the perfect amount of weft, which is going to allow me to really "get my color on" with my next batch.</p>