WIP

At the local wool gathering last Sept. I bought some color grown cotton yarn, color dune, in a small boucle.  When I got it home I could not imagine how to use it.  I have now used it as a brocade or inlay yarn on a natural cotton flake ground and I am thrilled with the result.

And this is before I washed it,  So now the ground is a little tighter and the inlay yarn is held snug.  Yes those are leno bands. I have two more panels to weave on the RH for this project.

 

 

Comments

Posted on Mon, 04/05/2010 - 15:40

That is lovely! and on the RH loom.  How clever.  Will you share the draft and project details? 

I can think of all sorts of uses for this design.  It would look lovely as a table runner or even a purse.

Claudia

Posted on Mon, 04/05/2010 - 18:25

 

Not such a small amount, it was a 1 lb. cone.  Same yarn makes the stipes and I have two more panels to go.  Here is a bigger view. You see is less than half of the center panel and there are 6 different, but related brocade designs (two designs not in pic).   I'm working on a tunic inspired by the 3 panel huipiles of Central America.

 

So far I've gotten the front and back to match.

Did you want a draft for plain weave on a RH loom?  Or do you want the charts for each inlay?  I did the charts in pencil, I'll have to see if they are dark enough to scan when I finish the project.

 

 

 

Posted on Mon, 04/19/2010 - 01:58

I have now finished all 3 panels, washed them and cut them apart.   I used 2 warps, a 3yd one for the central panel and a 5yd one for the two side ones. Here you can see them laid out on the floor.

 

I had enough warp left over to try out some different leno ideas .  And there are plenty of pieces to sample seams.

Posted on Mon, 04/19/2010 - 02:50

Love the brocade work in those colours, it has an antique look to it according to my monitor!

You must be very please with those results.

Posted on Mon, 04/19/2010 - 23:06

Here is the leno sample I made on the extra warp.  It was very easy to do because of the darker stripes.  Also alternating the leno blocks, which are higher than the tabby blocks compensates.  I tried a different number of picks between leno blocks, I think I like the overall cloth better with more picks ( you can see 3, 5 and & 7 in the pic) between the leno blocks,  How about you?

Posted on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 01:42

Where there are at least 5 picks between lino blocks the blocks seem to me to be better delineated.  Two blocks separated by only three picks looks like a single block to me, I think because the 3-pick separation appears shorter than the leno block.

BTW, I think this project is fabulous.

-- Constance

Posted on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 12:52

Good observation! So when there are 5 or more picks of tabby between the blocks tabby dominates and becomes the background.  Thanks for the insight.

Posted on Thu, 04/22/2010 - 17:04

I completed my seam samples, and this is the one I've selected to sew  the huipil together.  I have sewn the pieces together with sewing thread and ancient stitch (aka baseball stitch).  As I do this on a flat surface so I can get the alignment of the two pieces just right.  Then I'm covering the seam with a denser ancient stitch in the same yarn that I used for the brocading.  I wanted the visual line in the composition of the piece.

 

At the top of the pic you can see the seam before I have covered it with the brown cotton boucle.