Please join us in our practical sampling weave along. We will use a practical sampling technique commonly used in weaving programs and by professional weavers. I think it is a good practice and the sampling I've done thus far has really helped me understand twills, twill movement, treadling, and the role sett plays in fabric!
1) Warp at least 2 yards
2) Warp stripes, either a preplanned stripes or 2" in several colours to see how they interact with weft colours, or another design idea you've been toying with.
3) The first sample will be sett for a balance weave and participants will creatively sample a variety of wefts and treadline sequences. Did you know you there are 75 twill possibilities on a 4 shaft loom?
4) The second sample should be sett more densely, ie more warp faced, as if you were going to use it for graments, or upholstry fabric, curtains or another use which would require a denser sett.
5) The third sample should be sett less densely, not quite weft faced, but a more open and drapier sett than a balanced weave.
6) For those who wish you can continue to sample with other threadings in the same colours, change up the stripes, etc.