okay - figured it out now.  :)

The 'furring' you refer to might be 'pilling'?  That's what I usually call it anyway.  Little handcuffs of fibre that join two or more ends?

Inspection/repair is, I think, burling.




Posted on Mon, 10/03/2011 - 19:21

"burling and mending"?  - the words go together in my mind, but I can't remember why...

Posted on Mon, 10/03/2011 - 19:43

I spent a few months internship with a weaver producing fine mens silk suiting for the Paris runways, I spent much of my time inspecting and repairing the fabric, you would think I would remember "burling"


Posted on Tue, 10/04/2011 - 00:01

that a burl in yarn - a knot, slub or lump - is the same word for a lumpy knot in a tree trunk or branch? and burling is the removal of same. I know way too much trivia like this - not sure why. . .


Posted on Tue, 10/04/2011 - 02:04

Somebody once referred to the "pilling" of wool when warping as "cuffing" - I cannot locate a resource for the term, is anybody else familiar with this?



Posted on Thu, 11/17/2011 - 13:34

Hi all,

According to the Dan River, Inc. "A Dictionary of Textile Terms", Danville, VA  24543:

Burling--Removal of loose threads, knots, slubs, burs, and other extraneous materials from fabrics by means of a burling iron, a tupe of tweezer.  the trick is to remove the imprity without damaging the fabric.