Progressing very slowly

I spent yesterday trying to figure out how I could reduce the number of warp ends in  my overshot patterned doubleweave dare to a manageable number.  By eliminating some of the outer border, I think I can get to about 500 ends.  I chose a pattern from Davison, but I am having a difficult time figuring out the treadling.  It was probably not a great idea to pick a complicated overshot pattern (i.e not tromp as writ) and try to translate it into doubleweave for my first doubleweave project.  But I am plodding through.

This morning I looked at the Doubleweave book that I purchased last year and right in the book is a doubleweave overshot runner using a pattern of the same name as the one I chose!!!  It is not exactly the same, uses 538 ends, but I think it is close enough that I may opt to use that project rather than try to do this on my own.  Now to pick my colors.  I hope I have two colors of 5/2 cotton that will work together.

Gail

Comments

Posted on Thu, 10/06/2011 - 13:39

Hi Gail

I also find it useful to copy a published draft, when I'm trying out a new weave structure. ...I know it's going to work out OK, so can relax and analyse what the shafts are doing.

Beth

Posted on Mon, 10/10/2011 - 12:02

Yes a tried and test draft is very useful the first time around. I find that using a published draft the first time lets me focus on learning the structure and any new skills that go with a new weaving process.

Good luck!