Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
1 weavers online | help
No public posts in this group. You must register or login and become a member in order to post messages, and view any private posts.

Handweaving Museum in Clayton, New York

70 replies [Last post]
Sally Orgren's picture

Please feel free to post information about the Handweaving Museum, upcoming exhibits, the annual Weaving History Conference (that typically takes place in early May), or any ongoing research that might be of interest to weavers using the Berta Frey Library housed at the Thousands Islands Art Center. www.tiartscenter.org

Logo image : 
up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Mary Snyder Collection

I recently attended the Weaving History Conference at the Thousand Islands Art Center. It was AMAZING! I plan to post a sequence of some of the things I found of interest during the conference and at the museum. (And if anyone else reading this was there, please feel free to add to the discussion!)

I did not know Mary Snyder's library and textile collection resides here. We learned she experienced a fire while teaching in Banff, and as a result, had to have many of her books rebound. I was astounded to discover that one of her crackle books is actually bound with her *original* crackle fabric!

Sandra Swarbrick gave a wonderful talk about her experiences meeting and knowing Mary, and she gave me a greater appreciation of Mary's life and work. At several times throughout this conference, the warm spirit of past and present weavers was certainly felt by many. Behind Sandra is some of Mary's work displayed in the gallery.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Sally & Deb's Excellent Adventure

After an intriguing and informative lecture on silk by Donna Howland, participants moved to an indigo dyeing presentation with Freda Peisley as part of Friday's pre-conference activities. 

As many of you know, Deb is an experienced natural dyer. In contrast, I don't even cook. Below, I am gently sliding a skein of silk out from the pot to limit the amount of dripping (that will add oxygen) back into the dye vat.

(I'll post the finished skeins when I have given them the final rinse.)

FYI: At the silk lecture, I learned Deb has eaten silk worms as part of one of her trips. My contribution was that one of my guild mates (Jenny H) has successfully spun tent-worm "silk" and wove with it during a HABU workshop.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Mary Atwater, John King, Laura Allen?

"You don't know what you don't know" kept running through my head at the conference. Someone would mention a weaver's name I recognized, and then the next moment, a name I was unfamiliar with. I have lots to learn. 

Pat Hilts gave a wonderful presentation on John King and his drafts. Later, in the library, her husband Victor was paging through one of Laura Allen's (sp?) scrapbooks as I happened by. He landed on this page:

So who was Laura Allen (Allan?), how did she come to have correspondence with famous weavers of the time and a photo of a young Mary M. Atwater, and why did she assemble these scrapbooks?

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
No Common Thread

A few years ago, Cross Country Weavers undertook a study of Bedford Cord, and I was mightily impressed with Dini Moes' sample in the book No Common Thread.

While in the Berta Frey Library, I found two editions of this out-of-print sample book. I was in the process of documenting some of the samples when another weaver walked in and exclaimed "Oh! Someone was looking at my book!"

I knew Dini was no longer among us, but it was with complete surprise that I got to meet Mandy Heggtveit, the co-author! She was gracious enough to pose for me with her book and some of the collection as a back drop. As my guildmate Margriet would say, I was practically "having the vapors" after this encounter!

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Research Opportunities

I have to give a good chunk of credit to my journey down this historic path to Marjie Thompson. At the core, I am one of those "applied" weavers. I want to learn so I may apply techniques, not necessarily preserve an old way of doing things or dress in costume and demonstrate to the public every weekend.

Her lectures and tidbits have sent me down some *very* unexpected paths in the last few years, and they have always resulted in my meeting some delightful people along the way. (If you were at the conference, you know what I am referring to! ;-)

I was amazed at the selection of textiles available to examine at the Handweaving Museum. You don't have to have academic credentials to inspect these materials, but you would need to contact the facility ahead of time. The collection was available during the conference, and it was fascinating to see what others were requesting to view.

So here is Marjie in action, along with Jayne Flanagan (whom Inky will have fond memories of in his future travels!)

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Wednesday Weavers

I met some of the "Wednesday Weavers" during the conference. Not only does the facility have a studio full of floor looms, but they have a wall of Structo 240s. 

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
1929 loom recommendations

From the 1929 Hand Weaving book by Edith Snow and Laura L. Peasley, you could buy a “4 harness, 20” wide loom, worked by levers on the right” for $30. (I suspect this was a Structo 600.) The 8” 4 harness loom was $10. (Sounds like a Structo 240, for which many are paying $100-$300 in today’s market!) A boat shuttle (to be used with quills) would have cost you $1.75. The most expensive loom they sold was an 8-shaft, 10 peddle loom, dark stain, for $125.

The book also provides loom recommendations, but quickly goes on to mention owning more than one loom is advised. “First loom to be 4 harness, 45” width, Second loom 4 harness, 20-27”, Third loom a small table loom, for experimentation and small articles, from 8-20”, 4 harness.”

The book notes most looms come with a 15 dent reed, and a 15-18 dent is suitable for ordinary weaving. For rugs, 8-10 dents should be chosen. If you ordered an additional 12 dent reed, it could be used, threaded 2 per dent. 

up
0 users have voted.
thelmaweaves's picture
No Common Thread Book

Back in 2003 I took a color and weave class at Harrisville Designs and one of my classmates was Mandy Heggtveit!  She is a wonderful person. She had a "batch" of  the books in her car.  Of course I bought one immediately!  Signed by both authors no less. 

Sharon Carey

up
1 user has voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Deb, Mary, & Sally

My guildmate Margriet Carrico took this photo. It's been a month after the conference, and I am still enjoying the memories. It was a FANTASTIC experience!

up
0 users have voted.
Nassajah's picture
Thank you

Sally for the great photo journal you presented.  It was so interesting and full of information and ideas.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
It's that time again!

The 2012 conference is coming up, May 18-20.(Watch this space for postings, live from the event!)

up
0 users have voted.
debmcclintock's picture
oh yes, please!   photos and

oh yes, please!   photos and notes, I miss living close enough to drive up to the conference!  Deb Mc

up
0 users have voted.
Chasinmendo's picture
Wow, Sally!

It sounds like a fascinating conference and it appears you had a great time! I enjoy conferences for the people you meet and the exchange of informaiton that occurs. 

Regards, Charles

up
0 users have voted.
apw1970's picture
I'll be there

I'll be there this year.  I am so looking forward to it!  Anyone else going?

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Day 1 of 2012

We spent the afternoon in the library doing some research (as a surprise to Mary Underwood, I have been weaving some Beraiu drafts lately...) We had a fantastic dinner, then enjoyed wine and s'mores by the campfire. Deb and Jayne F, we are certainly missing you this year! Off to hear some presentations by Kati Meek!

(Sorry, rushed out the door and the photo didn't load earlier.)

up
0 users have voted.
debmcclintock's picture
Whine.......me want to be by

Whine.......me want to be by campfire & hear lectures! Pure pouting.....

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
OMG!

Inky found some inspiration, thanks to Kati's lecture. Some of these bands have two thin warps with a thicker pattern warp in between, which I found intriguing.

(BTW Laverne, notice Inky's new warp? ;-)

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Saturday! Wow!

It's nearly midnight, and today was just spectacular. The speakers were amazing, the sale items were incredible, the scallops + a glass of wine, (along with the dinner speaker on velvet) was a great way to end the day. It will take a few days to post more details, and to let it all soak in. More tomorrow — I am particularly looking forward to tarascan lace with Martha Reeves and learning more about and from Ruth Holroyd, who is attending.

One of the presentations today that had the greatest impact on me was Nell Znamierowski's talk about what was happening in the 1960's-1980's. Having just seen the Shelia Hicks show in Chelsea last weekend, her talk really gave me context.

And I can't wait to get home and apply the many things I have learned so far to my looms and weaving!

The best part has been meeting so many of the folks attending. If you have a question, you don't have to type it in and wait for an answer, the expert is sitting next to you or across the table at lunch or dinner. This is only my second conference, but is every year going to be this great?!

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Examining carpets

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
apw1970

I just figured out who you were and so sorry I did not get a chance to say hello. I think you were sitting just to the left of the projector in the front row. What is your weaving area of interest?

up
0 users have voted.
fairhavenweaver's picture
Next Year!

This conference sounds so wonderful and the location is so beautiful. I hope I can go next year! Those woven bands are gorgeous - looks like Inky found some good company.

Virginia

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
More!

On Sunday, Sandra Swarbrick walked us through a selection of Mary Snyder's collection, and this piece was certainly an attention grabber. The work was constructed on 8 different looms warped simultaneously—meaning this piece was woven as you see it, there is NO piecing involved.

You had to view Sandra's photos to totally grasp how this was executed. It is astounding to consider how Mary Snyder even conceived the idea to weave in "all" directions like this.

up
0 users have voted.
debmcclintock's picture
Sandra will be talking about

Sandra will be talking about Mary Snyder at the Complex Weaver's Seminar on the east coast in mid-September for those of you who are interested.  Here is the link of the class description.

More info on the Complex Weaver's Seminar may be found here.  One must be a CW member to attend.  You may join during the registration process.

Full disclosure, I am a BIG fan of the Clayton Handweaving Conference and the membership chair for Complex Weavers. 

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Beautiful Drafts

The sample books in the library at the Handweaving Museum are treasures, as they include amazing hand-watercolored drafts (like the one captured here). There are some beautiful woven samples to accompany the illustrations. (Yes, Franco, they even had books on Sprang!)

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
It's THAT time of year again!

The conference is coming up THIS weekend. I know sprang is on the agenda for some of my guildmates. Due to a work trip, I'll miss the Friday workshops and join the fun Saturday for the lectures. 

Anyone else attending this year?

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
In transit!

I got a text from one of my guildmates. They are in transit to the conference. Tomorrow is a hands-on Sprang class! Meanwhile, I will be finishing up a photo shoot south of Cleveland and taking a puddle jumper to Syracuse where I will pick up a rental car and drive up to Clayton. (Don't have TOO much fun until I get there!)

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
OMG!

For some of my guildmates this is the first time attending, and everyone is exhausted tonight! From camel saddles and Kashmir Shawl designs, to old manuscripts and samples of 1800's coverlets, we have traveled the weaving world today.

Below is Margriet Carrico's presentation on Damask designer Piet Peeters from Holland, 1920s-1944. The collection of his illustrations and textile motifs was astounding. Unfortunately, the historic Clayton Opera House wasn't available, so for this year, we met in the municipal building.

up
0 users have voted.
debmcclintock's picture
Ah meeting locations change,

Ah meeting locations change, we've met in pubs, boat museums, restaurants and now the municipal building.

Please tell Peter Harris I say hello, his research & documentation on the Kashmir shawals is wonderful.

Wishing I was there but it couldn't happen this year.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Sunday-

Deb,

I managed to catch Peter near the end of the conference today and pass along your greetings! For those who don't know about Peter's work, his presentation at this particular conference was about adapting cross-stitch software to more accurately depict the tapestry-like designs of complicated motifs.

The front of Peter's work is beautiful, but to see the back side was really spectacular!

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Coverlets!

If you LOVE coverlets, THIS is the place to view a "few" and solicit the opinion of experts in the field.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Break out session on Sunday

One of the sessions on Sunday morning was about photographing your work. The focus was documentation and for analysis purposes, along with best practices for handling museum quality pieces. After the sessions concluded, the photographers (Steve Diehl & Vici Zaremba from Antwerp, NY) graciously showed us how they might capture on white-on-white piece submitted by a conference participant. 

FYI: For the purpose of this quick demo, we did not affix the textile to the background in the recommended manner. (The textile was a hand spun, hand woven door panel from about 1825.)

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Treasures in the Library

On this particular visit, I didn't have much time to access the library. In the few precious moments I did have, I found this book on twills by Landis, and even better — the three or four notebooks of fabric samples woven in the course of producing the book! Seeing the actual color samples was infinitely better than viewing the B&W photographs in the book. It is access to resources like this that keep me coming back, year after year!

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Sprang with Carol James

I realized I posted to other forums about the amazing Carol James, so here are a few photos that depict her craft. She was weaving on this green warp Saturday morning, and at the break out session on Sunday morning, the double layered hat was completed! Most amazing was her top in the photo below. Equally (or even more amazing!) was her presentation about the process of reproducing the 1709 George Washinton sash from Mount Vernon. 

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Yessss. It's that time again!

The next conference (20th anniversary!) is happening May 17-18 in Clayton, NY. The program and registration booklet are available at the website. (Click on the calendar, May 17 date, and a pdf file will appear with the info.)

http://www.tiartscenter.org/events-s7.ph...

If you missed Deb McClintock's lecture at the Textile Museum in DC last summer, now is your second chance to hear it! Marjie Thompson is the keynote dinner speaker and as always, there will be oodles of coverlet info from the experts (4 lectures), and the always entertaining Mary Underwood.

See you there!

up
0 users have voted.
debmcclintock's picture
And Sally speaks before me on

And Sally speaks before me on her adventures in seeking the Deen Looms!

I've been waiting for them to post the schedule to pass word on. Sally beat me to it! This is a rich fast paced conference, little hands on but lots of historic and cultural weaving to help one get a sense of where We fit in weaving technology and history.

Consider driving to Clayton and sit and listen for the weekend.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
The adventure begins a week from today!

Seven days and counting down. Deb and I have a little pre-conference adventure planned... Stay tuned!

Meanwhile, I am earlobes to eyeballs in Deen literature. I found this interesting 1908 Deen ad yesterday. (Don't you wish all your shuttles had wings?)

up
0 users have voted.
kerstinfroberg's picture
No, not if it means I have to

No, not if it means I have to feed it pills all the time... Does the text tell what kind of pills ("uppers" or "downers")?

Hmmm - or does it maybe mean it both weaves and *produce* pills? Or, are they maybe coins?

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
I think

it is coins - showing the profit you will make

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Yes, coins! Money, Money, Money!

In the early advertising, the inventor was always telling the customer how much money they could make by weaving rag and fluff rugs. He assures readers they can weave extraordinary amounts in a few hours to 10 hours a day.

up
0 users have voted.
debmcclintock's picture
Wahoo, boarding pland and

Wahoo, boarding pland and heading north to join up with Sally, Downtown Abby costumes, Margarite Davison original textiles and then the Clayton Conference and my talk on SE Asian textile equipment on the docket! Loving the week's mix.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Historic Textile "Appetizer"

We stopped at Winterthur today (Thursday) before heading up to Clayton. A morning was spent with Textile Curator Linda Eaton and the historic textile collection of Marguerite Davison plus other textiles from the general collection, and the afternoon was spent enjoying the lavish costumes of Downton Abbey.

Recognize this dress?

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Day one, research!

We are pooped! Many of us spent the day in the library looking at a bazillion drafts, documents and books. I only took about 144 photos. A lot of them were from the Robin and Russ 5-12 shaft newsletter which contained actual fabric swatches. (The first photo is "library overflow" into one of the classrooms.)

Below, the traditional fish fry on Friday night at Sunny Side, along the St. Lawrence seaway, followed by a spectacular sunset. (This isn't everyone, just the folks who fit in the photo area my camera range could capture.)

Sally E - we heard the news and are missing you! I hope you are feeling better soon.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
More!

Susan Conover discovers Mary Snyder's library. Mary's books are covered with her handwoven fabric and typically have singe marks from her studio fire. (Sandra S., we miss you this year.)

Mary Underwood was telling us about the beautiful fabric she wove, seen below, inspired by a painter or painting for a Cross Country Weavers Challenge. (And she was wearing an AMAZING camel sweater, soft as butter.)

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Day two...

Yes, coverlets, coverlets, coverlets!

Above, honoring Sonja Wahl and Pat Hilts (holding flowers), founders of the conference.

Eat cake! (The Thousand Islands Plaid) Celebrating the 20th anniversary. 

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Great weekend!

Sunny (but chilly) weather meant it was perfect for a campfire with wine or S'mores (your choice) on Saturday evening.

What I love about this conference weekend (besides the campfire and S'mores) is seeing oodles of interesting and unusual fabrics, including several samples of early 1900's Canadian Boutonnée below. Most importantly, you learn where collections can be found, and who to seek out if you want to learn more.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
So what was discussed?

It's Monday afternoon and I still have "conference hangover." It wasn't due to too much wine, but maybe a bit too much sugar (chocolate cake AND smores?) and definitely information overload. My brain is processing...processing...processing...

Here is a visual aid from Peggy Hart's presentation Wool's Gains and Losses: American Cultural Trends 1920-1959. I captured this particular ad because the company is from a town near me.

Catharine Wilson (from the spectacular group of Ontario weavers that attends each year) presented a program on seersucker that was entertaining and impressive when she shared what she has been weaving. (A vest for her husband below.) I would love to hear more!

Actually, Catharine and Pat Hilts shared photos of looms they rigged up to do amazing things, but then Deb McClintock blew us all away at the get-go with the loom videos from Laos, Thailand, and Cambodia, showing their design potential and ability to store complicated patterns.

Here is Mary Underwood presenting on the 3rd floor of the Opera House. 

Like other weaving conferences, one must keep one's eye out for the informal fashion show happening in the audience. I caught Barbara Decker wearing her Frank Gehry-inspired jacket, which she wove last year for the Cross Country weaver's architectural challenge. (No wonder the design seemed familiar!) 

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Wrapping Up.

First — I heard from Sally E, and although she missed the conference due to a health issue, she is okay and recovering. We'll try to meet up at Convergence.

Second, I didn't get a chance to say this during my presentation, but I had waited to submit in the hopes to co-present with Janet Meany — she could cover the Deen past and I would cover the present. She was certainly in my thoughts this weekend and I don't know how many times I mentioned her name on Saturday. (I am sure her ears were ringing!) I hope she'll consider submitting a proposal next year on any one of a number of topics gleaned from her years of research. A big thanks goes to Janet for making my presentation possible.

Third, it was a combination of folks that introduced me to this under-the-radar conference, but most especially the persistent efforts of Marjie Thompson and Deb McClintock. I am completely grateful and wished I had listened to them earlier, so I would have a few more of these weaving history conferences under my belt by this time. When Marjie shared the list of presenters and topics over the last 20 years it was amazing. Now it is hard to wait another 364 days for the next one — which will be May 16-17, 2015

If you attended, don't be shy — please chime in and post!

up
0 users have voted.
Kati Meek's picture
Thanks Sally

Thank you Sally for the great picture-tour of the 2014 Clayton Conference.  I'm sorry to have missed it.  So many things to do and learn, so little time!  Treadle with Joy, Kati

up
0 users have voted.
SallyE's picture
Thank you!

Thank you for posting the great pictures - it makes me even sadder that I missed it.  I was so looking forward to meeting people and attending the conference.

While all of you were eating at the Saturday evening event, I was having emergency abdominal surgery.   So, not only did I miss the event I paid to miss it!   Double bummer.   Maybe next year. 

Update - The sweet staff at the Museum is refunding my conference fees, except for the dinner of course.   That money is earmarked for next year!

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Sally — save room for the scallops!

The Saturday dinner has been consistently delicious year after year, although this was the first year we did not actually eat at the Clipper Inn. The cocktails and dinner were served at the Opera House.

Here is a group photo taken before we all departed Sunday at noon, thanks to photographer Ernie Conover:

P.S. Kati, we missed you and your five fingers!

up
0 users have voted.
debmcclintock's picture
Here is a link to a nice blog

Here is a link to a nice blog review that gives you an idea of how to visit the museum. Drop in is good but making an appointment to see some of the textile collection and making sure you can get library access will really improve your experience. And don't forget that for spouses there is the wonderful boat museum across the walkable town and the Thousand Island boat tours out of Alexandra Bay (next town over) to keep others busy so you can focus on appreciating the collection.

http://westernsakiori.com/the-thousand-i...

up
0 users have voted.
sodenashi's picture
Another blog post

I made a return visit to Clayton and have a new blog post about that visit.  There are a lot of photos of the Blake rug.

http://westernsakiori.com/rag-weaving-research-at-the-thousand-islands-arts-center/

up
0 users have voted.
sodenashi's picture
Another blog post

[ETA - Sorry about the double post--I don't know how that happened!]

I made a return visit to Clayton and have a new blog post about that visit.  There are a lot of photos of the Blake rug.

http://westernsakiori.com/rag-weaving-research-at-the-thousand-islands-arts-center/

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Amanda, great blog post AND images!

Sonja is incredible, and I urge anyone who is considering research to do it NOW, because she knows the collection so intimately.

As Amanda said, with a little advance notice, you can have amazing access to incredible textiles and resources. 

(If you haven't done anything like this before, these services are typically free from many museums, but I like to make a donation to the museum for their time, and also to pave the way for the next person who follows in my footsteps with their research.)

up
1 user has voted.
debmcclintock's picture
Amanda, I posted some

Amanda, I posted some information on your blog that might be helpful for your research.

And I second Sally's recommendation that some type of donation be made to the museum for any research.  That enables the museum's board to be aware of how visitor traffic values the access to the collection and gives the textile folks basis for validating why a collection should be held open and accessible to the public.  (in the very tangible way of continuing to hire textile curators and staff to take care of collection and provide access)

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Already thinking about the next conference in May, 2015!
Sally Orgren's picture
Oh No!

The conference snuck up on me! Yes, I am registered, but it's less than 2 weeks away – can't wait!

Carol James is the Saturday evening dinner speaker, so I can't wait to hear about her latest textile, and her recent trip to Europe (I assume looking for the next ancient textile she might consider reproducing after completing her teaching gigs.)

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
We are here!

The Peruvian exhibit in the gallery is pretty awesome. I took some time this morning while it was still quiet to look at some of the ancient textile fragments and take photos.

Combining a lace weave with the more traditional band weaving never occurred to me! There were several wonderfully inspiring samples.

And Sally E, who posts here at Weavo from time to time, and I finally got to meet today!

The only person we are missing is Laverne W.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
From the library...

This is a photo of Russell Groff before he was the publisher of Warp & Weft. He took over the publication shortly after this issue appeared. Each booklet has a swatch included and later issues have been scanned to handweaving.net. I was going through some of the sample archives. This is a great place to look for ideas!

up
0 users have voted.
Bonnie Inouye's picture
some year, hopefully

I would enjoy this conference, I can tell from your photos and reports. Thanks for sharing them. This year, I am moving from Maryland to western Colorado on May 18th. The Maryland house is under contract and we are clearing everything out. Hopefully I can fit in a trip back east some spring.

Bonnie

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Processing...processing...processing!

My brain is on overload.

I didn't do a very good job of taking photos today, but I took a ton of notes. I will try and give a recap of some of the presentations when I get back home, as it is after midnight and with the topics covered, I feel like I have traveled the world and gone back centuries in just a brief 24 hour period. It was a spectacular day.

One item on my "to do" list is look at our hetchels more closely when I get back out to Millbrook Village, thanks to Ron. I also think I have a fix for my 12 shaft loom when the last four shaft's warps want to sag–thanks to Pat Hilts. Some of the presentations today connected to past years' topics, but in different ways, so it really reinforced previous learning. The weft ikat presentation by Winnie conected to one given by Deb McClintock last year. Gee, did I mention it was a spectacular day?! (Yes, Bonnie. I think you might need to try this conference!)

To finish out the day, we had a triple-header at sunset along the seaway: Sarah Saulson, dinner, and then Carol James. And I was able to top off the evening with S'mores by the campfire!

up
0 users have voted.
debmcclintock's picture
Bonnie, if you decide to go

Bonnie, if you decide to go let me know. I miss the conference alot. It is so rich. Bit a plane ticket, a car rental and hotel fee get hefty for a two day conference. It helps ease the financial pain if there is someone to split car rental & hotel cost. I used to be able and drive up from Delaware, Texas is a bit too far!

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Glorious Day for the Round Robin!

Sunday traditionally means the "round robin" at the Handweaving Museum. We spilt into three groups and rotate between the classroom, library, and gallery, to listen to three different programs in smaller groups. Here, we are waiting for everyone to arrive so we can get started!

I was in group B, which started our rotation learning about Lucille Landis and her meticulous studies, including detailed color mixing records in both pigment and warp wraps, along with some of her sources of inspiration, as selected and presented by Harriet (who studies weaving at the Thousand Islands Art Center.) Landis wrote a book on twills and the museum actually owns the swatches she wove while developing that publication.

Next, my group spent time in the gallery with trustee Marsha Glass and the Peruvian exhibition from the collecion of Ruth Holroyd. Since I spent time examing the exhibit Friday, I diverted to the second room in the gallery and enjoyed learning more about Atwater and others from Victor Hilts.

Above, Sonja Wahl (Curator Emeritus) shares items from the Klara Cherepov collection with us, including these wonderful drawings and drafts from Cherepov's German textile training. Cherepov was known for her self-published monograph on Diversifed Plain Weave. If you are familiar with this booklet, you might be excited to know the museum has many large samples to examine, including several garments.

It was such a glorious morning, I had to capture the Canadian Contingent with Jean H and Mary U, (all a group of awesome weavers), with the Saint Lawrence River as a backdrop.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
More...

Above: Barbara Decker recently taught a diversified plain weave round robin workshop in the TIAC weaving studio, and I had to take a peek at what was on some of the student looms. The "Wednesday Weavers" meet here – I'll let you figure out when.

Below: Some of the presenters are collectors, like Ron Walter, who shared a variety of hetchels used in flax production. I never thought to look at the underside of our hetchels at Millbrook Village for construction details, or inspect them carefully for decorative or maker marks.

For eye candy, Ron usually brings in an ususual coverlet (or two) that he throws on a table for everyone to look at between presentation breaks. This was one of the two that magically appeared this year.

Below, Winnie Nelon's presentation on Khmer textiles (weft ikat) was fascinating. She had detailed photos of the preparation and weaving process, along with several of the tools used for us to inspect. Here is a sample of one of the finished textiles. All that patterning you see is ikat WEFT – at a very fine sett. (Imagine the precision needed at every step of the process from dyeing to keeping the prins in exact order, to achieve this effect!)

This is one of the few weaving conferences that does not have a designated fashion show. However, you can't help but be distracted by attendees when people having casual conversations in the hallway are dressed like this, in their own handwovens. That's Sally E on the left, Margriet C on the right.

I mentioned the Sunday round robin sessions earlier. Below, Dr. Harriet Burris shares some of the large wall pieces woven by Lucille Landis, who in addition to her color studies, also favored the Theo Moorman technique and creating large wall pieces. I think the contast with today's weavers is that we tend to work fairly small by comparison, and few of us are so prolific.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
This just in!

Handwoven did a very nice article about the Thousands Islands Arts Center in the current issue (May/June 2015) pages 10-11.

The last line of the article is so true:

"There's nothing like it," says Sonja (Wahl). "Come."

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
It's that time of the year again!

The Weaving History Conference is THIS weekend!

I'll try to post images as I am able.

Friday will be my research in the library day (TIAC has best handwoven sample book collection I have seen so far!) and we have a gallery opening Friday eve. Saturday will be a full day of sessions, with a keynote and dinner to follow. Sunday is a half day and then a long drive home to ponder all of the new ideas that will be swimming in my brain.

One terrific thing about the last round of improvements here at Weavo is I am now able to easily post from my phone.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Sorry, lack of wireless and juice kept me off line this weekend

My bad. Forgot the charger and used up my phone as a mobile hotspot before I realized I had no way to recharge. Here's a few images from the weekend:

Incredible samples of different kinds of lace, both handmade and commercial, were part of the Friday eve exhibit opening.

Below, Jessica P, the curator of the collection, in the library.

Below, the Laura Allen notebooks, circa 1930's I believe. At Convergence in Milwaukee, a tour of the Laura Allen textile collection will be provided. I had no idea who she was or how significant her collection is.

Below, one of the two opening presentations about lace that kept everyone entertained (Thanks Mary & Deborah!)

up
1 user has voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
The 23rd Annual Conference is coming in 2017!

May 18-19, 2017, in Clayton, New York.

There is a call for proposals: http://www.tiartscenter.org/whc.php

up
1 user has voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
It's HERE!

Time to register for the 2017 Weaving History Conference!

Wednesday, May 17 is the opening reception for the retrospective exhibit, with the conference to follow on the 18-19. The Berta Frey Memorial Library and textile collection is also fun to access while in town for the conference.

Visit: www.tiartscenter.org

Speakers include Marjie Thompson, Janet Meany (Newcomb Loom History), Sandra Swarbrick (John Landes), Pat Hilts, Nell Znamierowski, and Philis Alvic (Churchill Weavers), along with other experts in their respective textile fields.

The countdown begins!

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Almost forgot...

If you want to read more about the Weaving History Conference and are an HGA member, the current issue of Shuttle Spindle & Dyepot magazine has an article written by curator Jessica Phinney.

up
0 users have voted.