I was inspired by the colors on a paper flower from a gift, then I went and picked the yarn from that. I picked a pattern from the Weaver’s Idea Book on Page 100, Warp and Weft Faced Floats, called the Double Windowpane, Mock Waffle Weave. I used one string heddle along with my 10dpi rigid heddle, warping the loom with the light silver colored yarn, then I rotated through the Celadon, Grass Green, & Teal yarn colors as I weaved the scarf for this pattern.
My project scarf from Amelia's Weave Now rigid heddle class. I used a 75% merino, 25% nylon sock yarn; solid turquoise for the warp and heathered blue-gray for the weft. Partial list of things learned from Amelia's class: 1) use sock weight yarn rather than worsted weight with my 8-dent heddle for a more supple cloth 2) double warp threads at selvedges to improve uniformity 3) method for simple tied fringe that eliminates need for hemstitching 4) weaving on loom should resemble window-screen (study the size and shape of the little squares of open space between the threads as you weave).
After machine wet-finishing and pressing, my scarf came out with a nice drape. I was very happy with its soft feel.
Thanks Amelia and Claudia.
This is supposed to become an apron that I will use for spinning. Doing mere picking-up, I am not sure how stable the fabric will be when finished. Maybe I better should have chosen overshot. *hmpf* :-(
The weaving was very slowly, but that did'nt matter because the apron is supposed to be part of my tools that I use for making shamanic power-objects and for such tools, mindfulness and concentration is very important anyway. Now that the weaving is done and I washed it, the fabric gained more stability. After drying, I will sew the borders and finish the "Jostenband" in order to attach it as the waistband...
Today I finished the apron and I am very happy about the way it came out. It was a slowly process, all manually done, but it's worth the effort.
I purchased 100% cotton t-shirts in solid colors with no side seams from a thrift store. I then cut the t-shirts in 1/2" continuous strips and used the strips for the weft. The finished fabric was folded over to make a bag, stitched at the sides, and lined with cotton fabric. Straps and magnetic closures were added, along with a decorative button.
This scarf was woven by Robin Lynde for Cotton Clouds as an inspiration piece for Cotton Clouds COLORING Contest for Weavers.
More information to be posted on Robin Lynde's blog by March 21, 2011.
Pattern design was taken from Jane Patrick's book, The Weaver's Idea Book using pick-up design on page 98.
I wanted to sample the length of my warp and check for shrinkage, draw-in and take-up for future projects. I am planning on using this as an example for my rigid heddle classes. I also wanted to check how much loom waste I had with the Harp rigid heddle loom. I was pleased that my loom waste was about 16" and not the 24" I have expected and allowed for. In the future, I will probably calculate my warp length with 18-20" for loom waste.
I used all the small pieces of 3/2 yarn sitting around from the end or almost end of a cone, the yarn cut off when winding a warp and finding a slub in spots where the yarn was joined. If I have a long piece left from cutting out the slub from the middle of a warp, I keep it and use it for tying warps or some other part of the project that requires a small piece of yarn. I used these "thrums" as weft in the table runner and love the way the weft stripes turned out.
This blanket used pickup sticks to create a double weave that could be unfolded when finished to create a blanket twice the width of the loom. I had a few problems with the shed not opening cleanly so I have some floating threads here and there, but considering the yarn was leftover moth-eaten rug yarn I am really pleased with the results. The fold is still pretty obvious; but I expect it will disappear with some use and washing.