*** 15 April 2011 - Update ***
yay - its off the loom - I've not got a pic yet as the sun had gone down already and I was not keen to photograph it by the orange light of an eco-bulb (don't think it would do it justice). The texture is rather interesting, and the soumak weave made both the ends cleaner, and it seems to have also kept the warp threads more evenly spaced (either that or I'm getting better at weaving!). I'll have a pic or two up in the next day or so.
***13 April 2011 ***
I've had these balls of sari yarn in my stash for over a year now - afraid to use them because I did not know quite what do do with them. I tried to use them in kumihimo, however the twist was/is unstable so the yarn unravels itself while hanging from a marudai. I also wanted to try soumak weaving (thank you Miryam-chavah) as an experimental "end".
The sari yarn is working well as warp & weft, and the soumak weaving has madea a lovely starting end - which for rigid heddle users is a great way to reduce waste (because you normally instert a bit of flad card or paper to get your first lines running) this adds a decorative finish, while evening out the warp threads and giving you a base upon which to start weaving.
I'll have some pics to post tomorrow or the next day.
This blanket used pickup sticks to create a double weave that could be unfolded when finished to create a blanket twice the width of the loom. I had a few problems with the shed not opening cleanly so I have some floating threads here and there, but considering the yarn was leftover moth-eaten rug yarn I am really pleased with the results. The fold is still pretty obvious; but I expect it will disappear with some use and washing.
Had to weave double the length, cut in half and stitch selvedges together. There is a little puckering (minor) where my picks per inch varies due to inconsistent beating.
I used up my Cotton Fabric leftovers from sewing to make 6 of those placemats for our dining table. I love them.
my first of - hopefully many more - stash reduction projects. Simple RH weaving, plain weave, let the colour talk project. I start to like the end with the triangle. Will try that some more.
my first chenille project. I had a cone of white cotton chenille and tried to dye it with Procion MX on the cone. It happened what was foretold, the dye didn't get through the whole cone, so I was left with splashes of it on the now off-white yarn. Some yarn was dyed on a skein (the peaches and lemon stripe in the middle) which was used only as warp. Tensioning the warp while warping was hell, which is the reason, I decided to shorten the width to spare my nerves. The rest of the already cut warp was used as weft.
But the finished scarf is heaven. I love the texture. Actually, I love it so much, that I already think about forgetting the warping hell and trying it again. ... After some other projects.
I apologyze for the pictures, I hope to get some better image of the colour when daylight will be better.