I finished this jacket last weekend as an entry for a local show and my spies tell me I have won a prize!
Readers of Handwoven will probably recognise the draft, originally used for a scarf but it works well for yardage too and you don't have to worry about hiding the ends of the supplementaty wefts. The contrast panel was woven in the same yarns in Theo Moorman technique.
I used 2/28 wool (14,000 m/Kg or 6880 yards/lb) doubled to get a nice jacket weight fabric. I hand spun the silk from a variegated top in my stash, there was some black and charcoal as well as the colours above but I just used the lighter colours as they contrasted better with the black wool. I backed the fabric with Whisperweft interfacing, the lightest I could find.
The pattern is Vogue 7916 from 2004 which has few pieces in the simple shapes that work well with handwoven fabric. While I didn't make a muslin, I had made it up in linen last summer so I knew it would fit. The pattern has a wide right front, self faced and folded back but I re-cut it so that both fronts were narrow and the contrast panel was separate.
This is the widest fabric I've ever woven but it was surprisingly trouble free and I'm delighted with the finished jacket. I'm really looking forward to wearing it though it could be some time before that happens as I'm in Australia and we're going into summer
Daryl Lancaster taught a 'beta' workshop in using Theo Moorman inlay to 'weave' images that were printed on silk with an ink jet printer and then cut into strips for the inlay. We learned a good deal about manipulating images in PhotoShop and we learned the inlay technique. Daryl had a wonderful selection of finished projects to inspire us, and of course her teaching was first rate!
Ant blanket commission, client's mohair, yellow is mesquite extracted from wood shaving, Theo Moorman inlay, only have 4 shafts on loom, would have loved to have done this in double weave or summer & winter!
Had to weave this project in Green as I was originally weaving it to exhibit on a Group stand for Design Factory at 100% Design in London.
Each panel is designed to hang alone or with it's partners to make a longer panel!
I wove these placemats to go with my window treatment in the dining area of our winter home. The technique was taken from the book “More Weaving That Sings” by Nadine Saunders and Joyce Harter and the winter 2009 (I believe) edition of WeaveZine. If is a modification of the Theo Moorman weave. One quarter inch wide cloth strips are used in place of a pattern weft. The ground weft is 8/2 slub cotton. The ground warp is 8/4 carpet warp, the tie-down warp is 20/2 perle cotton.
I used a double back beam for the first time on this project. What a great experience. I "upgraded" my Dorothy loom (the Florida loom) from 4 harnesses and one backbeam to 8 harnesses and 2 backbeams to allow me to weave more on it. I got the double back beam especially for this project. It works like a charm.
These placemats were fun to weave, the most tedious part was cutting the fabric strips. My guild had a class with Joyce Harter in 1997 to learn the Theo Moorman technique and I've been intrigued with it ever since. I will definitely be doing more of this type of weaving. The only drawback was the fact that I was using a table loom, I could have used more "umph" in the beating.