I know cotlin is not a typical material for something like a scarf but it's a matter of using what I have on hand, and I happen to have a bunch of this cotlin, having picked it up at Webs' last end of year sale. I'm still getting back into the swing of things, so I wanted to go with less expensive fiber for this early effort.
I've run into some tension issues early on - I think partly due to the thread count, which is higher than anything I've dealt with in quite a long time, and due to the fact that I didn't catch some crossed threads until after I started weaving. I don't know how that happened... I thought I double-checked, but next time I'll triple check! Definitely an object lesson in being very deliberate while threading the heddles... I'd rather spend an extra 15-30 minutes at that stage than an extra 15-30 minutes dealing with it after! I was able to fix the crossed threads, but as a result of re-tying that particular bunch of threads at the front tension is a little uneven there. I think my sleying pattern is also a factor; I spaced things out to get 24 EPI in a 10 dent reed, and 3 threads to a reed seems to be pushing it a little. Some of the warp stripes are a little bunchier than others.
I also found a mis-thread which broke the twill pattern. I wound up adding a string heddle, cutting the old warp thread and adding a new one (wrapped around a T-pin, to be threaded in after weaving) and after a few shots it's looking good.
All in all I think it's starting to settle down and even out- my hope is that once the cloth makes it onto the beam the tension will get a little more uniform.
Tension has definitely improved as cloth winds onto the front beam. A "paper clip temple" has also helped speed things up. I've actualy already finished one 68-ish inch scarf, which is quite gratifying. It's uneven at the beginning and has its share of flaws, but that won't stop me from wearing it.
Finished weaving scarf #2 tonight. If I wanted I *might* be able to squeeze another repeat of the sett in, but I don't want to risk running out of usable warp in mid-block. The tension came out fine at the end, after getting frustratingly uneven right about the time the rear apron rod came off of the back beam. I'm hopefuly that I'll be able to massage a couple of particularly crooked rows back into better shape before finishing. It's too late to contemplate taking it off the loom tonight, eager though I am to do so!
Scarf #2 is off the cloth beam, and its fringe tied off... I still need to weave in a couple of replacement warp threads but it's pretty exciting to see how much everything has evened out. Can't wait to see how it looks after finishing!
I finally had a chance to weave in replacement warp thread ends, trim weft threads that were sticking out from color changes, and deal with a few selvedge loops. I let both pieces soak for a bit in cold water, and have run them through a delicate cycle with some woolite... now to air dry!
After a hard press, things look good. I've surprised myself a bit with this project, and it's definitely emboldened me a bit as far as tartan is concerned!
Pattern is from Weaver's Craft Magazine, Vol 1, Issue 2, p.8. Wound 4.25 yd warp for 4 towels.
Did a Wall of Troy threading and a Descending and Ascending Twill with a half drop.
Lots of firsts with this project, first time using the Baby Mac, first time using Tencel, first project with networked twills
A very frustrating first attempt at staring with a twisted loop on the warp. Got there eventually but I'll be experimenting a bit more with this
Started weaving this and didn't like the blue cotton I had on hand. Found a nice mercerized one at Great Northern weaving in Kalamazoo, MI that made the scarf pop! Big improvement, Had stewed about it over the summer. The felting turned out really nice with a real double cloth look that I hadn't achieved in the other Deflected double weave that I have done. The wool is woven with a wide spaces so that it has room to shrink. The cotton sections are beat much harder, at a normal ppi. This was woven on Louet Megado with computer.
This project is being done for a friend of mine from my home town of St. Augustine.
She had me make her a peyote stitch cuff bracelet in shades of blue with silver trim, and then wanted a handbag to match.
This bag will be like the white soumak handbag that I also have listed in the projects section, only it will be done in yarn she chose...shades of beautiful blue mercerized cotton.
I have also listed a picture of the bracelet so you can see how the colors match.
I hope to have this piece done over the weekend, so keep watching.
My first 4-shaft project (outside the 1 workshop I did). i combined a zigzag pattern for edging with a diamond (twill patterns), getting the basic drafts from Learning to Weave. I spent 1 night finalizing the drawdown, 1 day playing with a sampler and fine tuning the desired sett and testing my draft. Hope to finish this week. Goal - 4 placemats to give to StepMonster for her birthday. colors determined by 1) her favorite pink-flamingo; hopefully will match her summer serving ware for patio and boat drinks. 2) new camper was re-upholstered in blue. Hopefully these placemats will serve well in either location.