This is an attempt to reproduce the design, woven with a supplememntary weft on a tiny precolumbian fragment. You can see the fragment there next to my design. It is not an exact reproduction as the floats in the scrap are too long for my liking. As this is going to be a tool bag, long floats would simply not be practical-too much snag potential. I would need to use a much finer ground weave yarn in order to have floats over so many warps. I would love to know the original use for this textile as I have only seen this technique used to make hat bands here.
I blogged today about my precolumbian textile fragments and how I got hold of them as well as other attempts to reproduce the structures and designs on them.
I hope you will take a look.
There are a couple of pattern charts for you to use there too.
I am nearing the end of the original Abba Yohanni motif piece which will be a table runner. I have since added a (very large) hotpad-perhaps for the Thanksgiving turkey! and am working on a set of mug rugs using the center of the motif. I may yet add a set of four placemats. This set will be a gift for someone on my next trip to Australia.
The set is in my blog post today with two videos of me weaving the one-weft double weave technique making a Mexican motif mug rug. The videos are meant to supplement my instructions for this technique in the Backsyrap Group forum rather than stand alone as an instructional tool.
There are also videos of weavers in Candelaria and Tarabuco and a celebration of coca leaves with the beautiful woven bags that are made to carry them. Lots of pictures. I hope you'll take a look.:-)
I haven't been able to stop thinking about this design since Rob S posted it here on his 300+ tablet woven reproducton of the curtain hanging in the cave church at Abba Yohanni in Ethiopia.
Finally I have warped up and am weaving a part of the design in double weave bordered by black plain weave. I am not sure what the piece will be in the end and will decide as it progresses. I plan to weave it in reveresed colors next as the center of the piece.
It makes a brief appearance on my blog post today.......
I hope you will take a look :-)
After having woven a bunch of multi colored key fobs, this makes quite a change and now I have to deal with getting all the dust and fluff off the black-everything shows!
Some key fobs that I make now and then between big projects which allows me to play with colors on small designs. I keep a collection of these handy as they make nice gifts. Some of these are not finished as they need to have their ends braided. I braid the ends or sew the edge and leave a fringe although I prefer braids-a lot of work braiding all those ends! but relaxing.
Some are made with 8/2 and 4/2 cotton and others with doubled sewing thread to get more detail in the tiny space. I may not be able to part with the sewing thread ones!
I blogged about these today along with a tutorial for supplementary weft patterning. I hope you will take a look! :-)
I always take a bunch of bookmarks, key fobs and coin purses with me when I travel as gifts for people I meet along the way-fellow travelers and weavers. I also take my loom along so I can continue weaving bookmarks and other things during the trip.
I blogged today about how I make my bookmarks and weaving ''on the road''. I also share the pattern charts for my llama motif bookmark as well photos and stories about the lovely llama.
This was made using Laura Fry's roepath article in WeaveZine and following a WAL proposed in the WAL group. I used my 10 dpi rigid heddle on my backstrap loom and set up 4 sets of string heddles.-2 in front of the RH and 2 behind. I was able to use the RH as a beater.
This is a table runner for my mother.
Above.........weaving the last row of flowers. I used the daisy and butterfly patterns and wove them using doubled strands of embroidery floss. I chose not to weave the motifs all the way to the edges and so had to weave a little fill in in the plain weave area between the motifs and the edge.
It is one of my resolutions this year to weave at least one balanced weave on my backstrap loom per month (as I am usually all about warp faced weaves).........so, one down for January!
My first backstrap weaving project: a backstrap from the Weavezine article Backstrap Basics.
Made from stash yarn.
Helena (Telaranha) has been posting wonderful projects with beautiful designs of the Huni Kuin people of tropical Brazil and Peru and I chose one of the designs to make this bag wth supplementary weft patterning. This is not the weaving technique employed by the Huni Kuin people and I adapted the design to weft inlay. Since going to Guatemala in 2008, I have been wanting to do more with supplementary weft patterning and recently made a table runner with a Central Asian motif using this method.
I blogged today about the use of this technique here in Bolivia and about how I learned to weave it in Guatemala with lots of nice pictures of my teacher and her textiles. I hope you will take a look. :-)
I was inspired by designs in Joanne Hall's Mexican Tapestry Weaving book to make another set of mug rugs, this time with a Mexican theme and then, while thinking about more projects to make with 12 wpi cotton in double weave, I came up with a matching hot pad. I wove all on my backstrap loom-big bold and spicy!.
I f you would like a better look at the motifs and the pattern chart for the hotpad, check out my latest blog post where I also give a tutorial on making continuous string heddles. There are photos of my indigenous teachers showing how they make their heddles too.
Check out my blog on backstrap weaving!