Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
9 weavers online | help

Warp sizing

10 replies [Last post]
Cheekyredhead's picture

Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice about adding size to my warp?  What do you use?  How do you apply it?  I've tried one recipe from The Alden Amos Big Book of Spinning useing flour and then immersed my warp into the mixture.  It worked O.K. after I pulled apart all the strands of yarn, but that was a really dusty process.  I've also heard about using hair spray but I'd rather not use it since I have feline supervision in my studio.

Thanks much!

Sizing a warp: 1. Take one

Sizing a warp:

1. Take one well choke tied warp chain

2. Prepare some somewhat diluted laundry starch (Staley's liquid half and half works well)

3. Dip chain in starch solution, let soak for a few minutes

4. Hang up to dry

5. Warp with sized chain as you normally would. By the time you get the loom threaded, any threads sticking together have long since separated.

Starch has long been used by weavers - professionals as well - it is inexpensive, washes out easily and protects your warp. This works for ANY tender warp, or fuzzy ones as well - linen, handspun, silk, mohair, wool, cotton.

Yes, there are more  exotic recipes out there, but they all do the same thing as the laundry starch - if you don't find liquid at your grocery store, look in any older cookbook or textile care book and you'll find a recipe to use rice, corn or potato starch to cook up  your own.

LauraFry's picture
The other commonly used warp

The other commonly used warp sizing is gelatin which has the added advantage of not creating so much dust.  Recipes can be found in various resources - The Magic of Linen, Magic in the Water; wet finishing handwovens - both have recipes - for both flax dressing and gelatin dressing (I used Linda's flax seed dressing with her permission.)

cheers,

Laura

berylmoody's picture
I've used the gelatin sizing

I've used the gelatin sizing recipe in the Big Book of Spinning  with good results.  Actually, I wound my yarn into skeins and sized it and then wound the warp after the yarn had dried so that I could clear any of the places that the yarn was stuck together.  I've used it on handspun singles wool and another time on a rather weak wool with excellent results.

ranvaig (not verified)
ranvaig's picture
 I used cheap hairspray when

I used cheap hairspray when I had problems with the warp on the Warp Weighted Loom I borrowed.  The warp was already on the loom and it needed something we could add without removing it.  I considered brushing on a linseed  "tea" but couldn't find linseed on short notice.  The hairspray might not be the best option, but it worked.

Sharon

Cheekyredhead's picture
I find my linseed (flax seed)

I find my linseed (flax seed) at Whole Foods.  You might also look at any local health food store if you don't have a WF.  I use the "tea" when I'm spinning flax wet to make a smother yarn.  As for hair spray, I'd heard about using it but the fabric I'm wanting to make is a reproduction of an 13th century fabric to that I'm going to sew into two liripipe hoods.  While my techniques aren't all "period"  I can justify making of the changes I have.  Thank you for the suggestion but hairspray is right out.  Also since my cats sleep under my loom I'd rather not expose them to the fumes. 

Sizing a warp: 1. Take one

Sizing a warp:

1. Take one well choke tied warp chain

2. Prepare some somewhat diluted laundry starch (Staley's liquid half and half works well)

3. Dip chain in starch solution, let soak for a few minutes

4. Hang up to dry

5. Warp with sized chain as you normally would. By the time you get the loom threaded, any threads sticking together have long since separated.

Starch has long been used by weavers - professionals as well - it is inexpensive, washes out easily and protects your warp. This works for ANY tender warp, or fuzzy ones as well - linen, handspun, silk, mohair, wool, cotton.

Yes, there are more  exotic recipes out there, but they all do the same thing as the laundry starch - if you don't find liquid at your grocery store, look in any older cookbook or textile care book and you'll find a recipe to use rice, corn or potato starch to cook up  your own.

LauraFry's picture
The other commonly used warp

The other commonly used warp sizing is gelatin which has the added advantage of not creating so much dust.  Recipes can be found in various resources - The Magic of Linen, Magic in the Water; wet finishing handwovens - both have recipes - for both flax dressing and gelatin dressing (I used Linda's flax seed dressing with her permission.)

cheers,

Laura

berylmoody's picture
I've used the gelatin sizing

I've used the gelatin sizing recipe in the Big Book of Spinning  with good results.  Actually, I wound my yarn into skeins and sized it and then wound the warp after the yarn had dried so that I could clear any of the places that the yarn was stuck together.  I've used it on handspun singles wool and another time on a rather weak wool with excellent results.

ranvaig (not verified)
ranvaig's picture
 I used cheap hairspray when

I used cheap hairspray when I had problems with the warp on the Warp Weighted Loom I borrowed.  The warp was already on the loom and it needed something we could add without removing it.  I considered brushing on a linseed  "tea" but couldn't find linseed on short notice.  The hairspray might not be the best option, but it worked.

Sharon

Cheekyredhead's picture
I find my linseed (flax seed)

I find my linseed (flax seed) at Whole Foods.  You might also look at any local health food store if you don't have a WF.  I use the "tea" when I'm spinning flax wet to make a smother yarn.  As for hair spray, I'd heard about using it but the fabric I'm wanting to make is a reproduction of an 13th century fabric to that I'm going to sew into two liripipe hoods.  While my techniques aren't all "period"  I can justify making of the changes I have.  Thank you for the suggestion but hairspray is right out.  Also since my cats sleep under my loom I'd rather not expose them to the fumes.