Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
8 weavers online | help

mop cotton

12 replies [Last post]
broderie's picture

How much mop cotton for a placemat? A "rule of thumb" would help.
Thanks

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Three?

I think I got three placemats 14 inch by 18 inch from a 14 ounce cone of sugar and cream 4 ply in plainweave.

Have a good day!

up
0 users have voted.
gailc's picture
there is no "rule of thumb"

At the risk of sounding harsh, there is no "rule of thumb" for determining how much mop cotton is needed for a placemat. First, "mop cotton" differs in weight, yardage and ply depending on the source. Second, placemats differ in size. The only way to determine how much yarn is needed for a placemat, or any project, is to learn how to do the math and calculate yarn requirements for your specific project and yarn.

up
0 users have voted.
broderie's picture
I do realize there are

I do realize there are different weights of mop cotton. No one here (that I can find) has given yardage when they have posted a project on warp rep. I can do the calculation for even weave, but warp rep is not even weave & I don't see anywhere for figuring calculation for warp rep.

up
0 users have voted.
LauraFry's picture
Part of the challenge in

Part of the challenge in calculating take up is that the thicker the weft the more the take up will be.  I'd start with 30% as a general guideline, weave a short warp and then measure afterwards to get a more accurate estimate.

cheers,

Laura

up
0 users have voted.
Michael White's picture
Mop cotton yardage

Yarn barn offers two weights of mop cotton. One 75/6, 102 yards per pound and the other 100/4, 210 yards per pound.

Michael

http://www.handweaver.us/georgia_yarn_company.htm

up
0 users have voted.
broderie's picture
Thanks but the Yarn Barn

Thanks but the Yarn Barn doesn't ship to Canada.
Brassards has 8/8 & 8/16 (or 16/8) I guess too it is the relationship between the 2 weights? or not?
Thanks

up
0 users have voted.
LauraFry's picture
8/8 is supposed to be 8

8/8 is supposed to be 8 strands of a #8 cotton plied together.  However when I look at their sample card I see that it is 4 strands of 2/8 plied.  The 16/8 is 8 strands of 2/8 plied together....

cheers,

Laura

up
0 users have voted.
Kayenta's picture
rep weave mop cotton

I want to use 8-strand mop cotton for rep weave placemats, but it seems
too thin compared to the fabric strips I was using.   Can I lay several strands of the yarn in the shed together
to get the desired thickness of the weft?  If so, do I need to ply them
or can I just wind them on the shuttle together?   Thank you.

up
0 users have voted.
Bonnie Inouye's picture
thick weft in rep

I have used several strands of normal yarn together for the thick weft in rep weave. I just wind them together, then watch to be sure they are not forming any loops at the edges. If one strand needs to be pulled in, you can fix it.

I always have some extra warp for sampling different wefts. The color of the thick weft shows along the sides of the piece and often it shows at the transition areas of the design. I sample for color and thickness of each weft with rep.

Bonnie

up
0 users have voted.
Joanne Hall's picture
Placemats

Also remember that thicker placemats need a lot more time to dry after you wash them.  After weaving some thick ones, I decided that a little thinner was better.

Joanne

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Camilla Valley Yarns has mop cotton (and is in Canada.)

Camilla is located in Canada and has a great selection of mop cotton in a bazillion colors. (Ok. Make that 44!)

16/8 is what they call mop cotton. According to their site, a 1 pound tube/454 grams is 420 yards. 

Nope. This is definitely not too fine for a placemat! (Table linens don't have to be thick or stiff.) I measured one of my rep pieces woven from mop cotton (with 5/2 warps), and I averaged 6 picks of the thick weft alternating with the thin per inch. Also, I sometimes use a thinner weft than what is in the warp. (Instead of the 5/2, I might use a 10/2 between the thicker wefts to really pack it in there.)

I hope that helps get you started with project estimations. However, I would still sample. Rep should be beaten or packed in firmly. Some of my rep projects were woven with another product (also called mop cotton from a different source here in the U.S.), and that came out at 4 thick ends per inch (alternating with the thin wefts.)

When estimating your project, don't forget to allow extra for take up and shrinkage. As Laura said, in the warp direction, 30% isn't unreasonable because the warps are deflected up and around all those thick mop cotton wefts!

Finally, there is a person on Weavo called "repweaver" and you can always send her a PM (private message). With a screen name like that, I'll bet she would have great advice!

up
0 users have voted.
mneligh's picture
technogeeks

Technogeeks like me use a McMorran balance (simple, cheap) to estimate yards per pound of everything.  You can then estimate takeup per Laura's suggestion to come up with an idea of how much you need.  Or, whoops!, it might be easier to just weave one out of the same weights of warp and weft and see!  There is no standard on mop cotton. 

It is just as fast to order a little fiber, sample, and then order more than it is to order a McMorran balance and sample, measure, and then order more fiber.  The good and bad news are identical -- you don't buy the McMorran balance.  They are handy to have, however.

up
0 users have voted.