Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
16 weavers online | help

Looking for help identifying this vintage floor loom

12 replies [Last post]
Midwest Girl's picture

I am looking for some help in identifying the maker of this vintage floor loom.  I bought it at an estate sale and can not find any identifying labels or marks on it.  The primary frame appears to be made out of maple or possibly cherry.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
I can't

help you but what and interesting loom!

up
0 users have voted.
Cat Brysch's picture
What a wonderful loom!

Why are you wanting to know the maker....needs repairs, instructions or parts? It looks so complete and so professionally done! And the little doggie is cut, too!

It's so lovely....I'd just start weaving!

up
0 users have voted.
gailc's picture
Very nice loom.  Perhaps it

Very nice loom.  Perhaps it was a home built loom based on the early Macombers.  Looks very much like the photo here:

http://macomberloomsandme.blogspot.com/2012/03/history-lesson.html

It looks to be in incredible condition.  I love your little "helper" who is checking it out.

up
0 users have voted.
tommye scanlin's picture
exactly what I was thinking, gailc

I'm glad you posted the blog post for the history; I'd thought that several of the components looked so much like Macomber (there seemed to be jacks similar to the Macomber and the shape of the back beam looked Macomber-ish).  It would be very interesting to know if it was indeed either a Macomber or if it was designed based upon one.  Those warp beams are massive!

If it were mine, I'd also want to know more about it.  Cat... just because I'd be curious about its provenance.  

Tommye (owner of an older Ruthie tapestry loom, about which I've been curious and have found out some bit of background about it)

up
0 users have voted.
tommye scanlin's picture
exactly what I was thinking, gailc

I'm glad you posted the blog post for the history; I'd thought that several of the components looked so much like Macomber (there seemed to be jacks similar to the Macomber and the shape of the back beam looked Macomber-ish).  It would be very interesting to know if it was indeed either a Macomber or if it was designed based upon one.  Those warp beams are massive!

If it were mine, I'd also want to know more about it.  Cat... just because I'd be curious about its provenance.  

Tommye (owner of an older Ruthie tapestry loom, about which I've been curious and have found out some bit of background)

up
0 users have voted.
Cat Brysch's picture
This incredible woman might be of help....

She might have information in her incredible collection. Contact her here:

e-mail: jmeany@weaversfriend.com

website: www.weaversfriend.comYes, I understand wanting to know about the loom's past....I feel the same way about my old Structo Artcraft Floor Loom! This loom in your photo may be a homemade version of a Macomber (with lamms and treadles like my old Structo and not like my Macombers) that answered some special needs of a particular weaver and how he/she did things. I have homemade tools and equipment like that and it's so neat to have them!

up
0 users have voted.
marga24's picture
loom

That's a very interesting loom and sorry dont know anything about loom maker or manufactures but your loom's quite wonderful and nice.

buying soundcloud follower

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Spammer alert = marga24

Don't click on the link above folks.

up
0 users have voted.
nctxweaver's picture
Loom ID - Unknown, Looks very much like my jack

I have a very similar jack loom, 4 harness-6treadle.  Mine does not have any markings either.  Love weaving on it.  I've seen another similar but was a different set up for the jack mechanism.  All have the same beefy warp beams and the chunky rope brakes, though.  Mine also has the metal bar lifts.  The previous owner new nothing except she got it from someone else.

up
0 users have voted.
ZuZuPet's picture
Did you get an answer?

We're you able to identify the loom? I'm looking at buying one that looks JUST like this, minus the second, higher, warp beam, but I have no idea who makes it!

up
0 users have voted.
Midwest Girl's picture
Binder Loom

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about identifying my vintage loom. You are such a wonderful group of people! I am relatively certain that my loom is a Binder loom. I have gathered some documentation that looks identical to my loom.  The Binder looms were built in southern California and I found mine in Napa, CA.  There is another discussion forum on this website that talks about the Binder loom in detail. That's where I picked up most of my information.

up
0 users have voted.
Michael White's picture
Looks

like a Macomber loom. But maybe Macomber or binder got there jacks from the same source. Here is the link to the information above http://weavolution.com/forum/chat/binder-loom-1949-26507

up
0 users have voted.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /home/weavol5/public_html/sites/all/modules/boost/boost.module on line 4218