Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
19 weavers online | help

Herald Loom

13 replies [Last post]
teewers's picture

Hi -

I'm a new weaver, and I'm going to look this weekend at a 46-inch 8-harness Herald loom that comes with a number of accessories.

My husband is a very capable wood-worker, so I think he can deal with any problem wood parts providing that they're actually there so that he can use them as a model.  However, I'm worried about non-wood parts.  She may only have one reed.  Do the reeds of any other type of loom fit a Herald?  She says she has lots of heddles but wasn't sure what kind.  Does it use heddles of a standard size so that I can replace if I want to?  I think she said that it has wire tie-ups.  Are those simple enough that we can copy them, or can we substitute something else?  And are there other potential issues that I should be watching for?

Maybe the most important question is whether, if it's in good condition, it's a loom worth having and one that I can start out with as a beginner without being overwhelmed and gradually use more features as I learn more.  I've looked for information on-line but have found almost nothing beyond the fact that the company has gone out of business.

Thanks for any advice or information you can provide!

up
0 users have voted.
Su Butler's picture
Herald looms are good

Herald looms are good looms....about the only thing that they cannot do is rugs, and you could weave an occasional one on it if you desired.  The reeds can be interchanged with about any other standard reed - measure the reed height and replace with any other reed of the same height.  The tie-ups can be switched to Texsolv or any other system you desire.  We had Herald looms in the weaving studio in college and I recall we used the snitch knot tie up standard to Loomcraft looms on all of them.  The heddles are pretty standard....the looms we had in the studio had flat steel and inserted eye heddles.  You could use either and both are still available from manufacturers.  I think a Herald loom is a good loom for a beginner.  It is not complicated, works hard and is easy to adjust.  It is a jack action loom.   If the price is suitable, go for it.....

Su

up
0 users have voted.
teewers's picture
Thanks very much, Su.  Based

Thanks very much, Su.  Based on your comments, I think the price is worth it for me if it's in the condition she says it is.  Guess I'll find out in a few days!

up
0 users have voted.
Grandmamsie's picture
I am interested in learning

I am interested in learning to weave. I am in the process of purchasing a Herald Jack Loom 4 harness. I have not seen the loom but the couple who is selling it said they have used in before they stored in in their garage when they moved into their new house. I would like to know what to look for when evaluating this Loom. I have told her I will buy it and want to know what I should offer her for it and I have no idea what one would be worth. Also, can I find parts for it if there are some missing and what will those parts cost? If someone has advise for me I would appreciate it.
Thanks for any bit of information you have to share for me.

up
0 users have voted.
Chariclo's picture
I recently purchased a 1960

I recently purchased a 1960 Herald loom - 8 harness, 10 treadle, 48" width in MINT condition, with many extras....and paid $550.....it was originally owned by a lady who had it her lifetime and wove up until her passing.  I was VERY fortunate that it also came with the ORIGINAL MANUAL...and all tools as well.   If you do purchase the Herald you are considering I would be willing to send you a copy of that manual if needed.  It does contain the full blueprint of the loom with all wood measurements and mechanical details.

up
0 users have voted.
gailwilson's picture
Hardware-spring on warp beam ratchet

I have a six harness (much older) herald loom.  It came back from being loaned in less than perfect shape.  I have everything repaired, but one thing.  There is a v-shaped spring that attaches to the ratchet that keeps the warp beam in place.  Problem is I don't know how it should attach, or if it's broken.  If anyone has a manual that shows a diagram of this part, I'd appreciate seeing a copy of it.  Thanks

up
0 users have voted.
gailwilson's picture
Herald loom manual

Hi-I could really use a copy of the Herald loom manual, if it shows the setup of the spring that holds the warp beam ratchet in place. Will be glad to reimburse you.  Thanks for any help you can give me.  Gail Wilson

up
0 users have voted.
teewers's picture
Herald loom manual

There's a pdf of a manual available on-line at the following link:

http://www.basicallybenita.com/wp-conten...

The diagram is difficult to follow.  I have a 45" 8-harness Herald.  If it would help, I could take a picture of my ratchet set-up and e-mail it to you, but I don't know if your loom's is (or should be) the same!

up
0 users have voted.
hyacinthwannabe's picture
No rugs on Herald loom?

I saw Su Butler's comment about not being able to weave rugs on the Herald loom.  I intend to add a weight to the beater bar but everything else looks pretty straighforward. This is a new loom to me and I have not yet woven anything on it. Waiting for a new reed to be delivered.  I have a 40 inch 4H6T model which I thought would be great for rugs.  Why is this not a good loom for that purpose?  

up
0 users have voted.
sequel's picture
Rugs or not?

The Herald shafts tend to float under high tension on the warp.  You should not tighten to the point where the shafts begin to lift.  Rugs are often woven under high tension, thus the caveat. 

up
0 users have voted.
lynne7120's picture
Lam mechanism catching on neighboring mechanisms

I am trying to get an old Herald loom in good repair. 8H, 10T. I was able to weave a couple of things (including a rug) using the front 4 harnesses. However, when I threaded up all 8 harnesses and used a tie-up of 4 harnesses per treadle the rear 4 lams mechanisms catch on one-another and refuse to lift! I am using texsolv for the tie-up because this loom only came with 14 of the steel connectors. Could this be affecting it? 

up
0 users have voted.
sequel's picture
It's not the Texsolv

Most likely it's some kind of mechanical interference. Sometimes when you advance the warp it drags the heddle bars forward and they can catch on one another in the middle.  Make sure you clip the heddle bars supports after you finish threading.  Also if your Texsolv tie ups are not going straight down from lamm to treadle, they can pull the jacks out of line. 

Try disconnecting the front treadles to the front 4 shafts and treadle the back 4 to see if that makes a difference. Check to make sure those L shaped pins that hold the jacks in the loom haven't slipped out of their holes.  Some looms have the L shape in the front, some in the back.

This is the kind of situatiion where you wish you had eyes on your feet...

up
0 users have voted.
Nikelodian's picture
Treadle Tie Wires for Herald Loom

I just ordered some new tye wires (original equipment on Herald Looms) from Bailey Manufacturing Company,
118 Lee Street,
Lodi, OH 44254 USA
in USA: 800-321-8372      outside USA:  330-948-1080
in USA FAX: 800-224-5390

outside USA FAX: 330-948-4439

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/baileymfg

This is the company that originally made Herald Looms as Occupational Therapy Equipment.

up
0 users have voted.
sequel's picture
Wow!

I had no idea they still support the looms!  What a revelation!

up
0 users have voted.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /home/weavol5/public_html/sites/all/modules/boost/boost.module on line 4218