Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
18 weavers online | help

Hemstitching

9 replies [Last post]
Kitty T's picture

A shout out to experienced weavers:

When do you hemstitch? Do you do it while the project is on the loom? Do you use a sewing machine or hand hemstitch after the project is off the loom? What are some reasons for how you do what you do? What projects require what types of hemstitching treatments? Are there any good videos on this subject that anyone could recommend?

Thanks for any information.

Kitty

endorph's picture
I'm not an

experienced weaver but have many years of experience with hemstitching in embroidery. As I have been learning to weave I have done hemstitiching on table runners, scarves, shawls and towels. Mostly while still on the loom but in a couple of instances off the loom. Doing it on the loom makes it quite easy - it is similar to doing it on embroidery under tension in a hoop. Even on projects that I know I am going to turn under a hem I do a simple hemstitch just to hold everything in place while I am turning the hem to handstitch. It also makes a nice decoration to hemstich on a turned up hem - on the right side of the fabric. Don't know that these comments are og much help to you ut. . .I am a firm believer in using a simple hemstitch whenever possible and fancier hemstitches caan be nice additions to simple pieces like runners, towels, napkins, scarves etc.
Tina

Kitty T's picture
Thanks, Tina!

This is good information. The only thing I know about hemstitching at this point is what I read in the back of the Handwoven magazine. I thought I'd start this thread to learn more about it. I like your practice of doing it on the loom even if you will be turning the hem under later.

Thanks!

Kitty

Michael White's picture
Kitty

You will find some great information on hem finshing here: http://weavolution.com/group/scarf-borders-finishes

Michael

bolivian warmi's picture
video on hemstitching

I learned hem stitching from this video which Franco found and linked to in the backstrap group a long time ago. This is when I learned that hemming and hemstitching are not the same thing. I can't imagine ever hemstitching a piece once it is off the loom.

LauraFry's picture
I have a video clip on hem

I have a video clip on hem stitching here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LauraAnnFry1

It's the 3rd one down from the top.  I have quite a few video clips showing all sorts of things.  :)

It's much easier to hemstitch on the loom than off it.   A thread under tension is a thread under control.

cheers,

Laura

endorph's picture
Virginia West's

book Finishing touches for handweavers's has some good info on two or three different hemstitiches as well as some other finishing techniques that you might find useful. Also check out embroidery sites for even more variations on the hemstitch. There are also two or three different ways to do even the the basic stitch. . . its a fun subject to explore.

mrdubyah's picture
Hemstitching

I hemstitch on the loom at both the start and finish of each project.  A hemstitch should be considerd for all projects that will be left with tassles.  Hemstitching is essential for untwisted tassles, helpful for twisted tassles and not really necessary for projects that will be hemmed.  I often hemstitch anyway to hold the edge until the hemming is done.  To me the hemstitch adds a nice finished look to the work. 

Kitty T's picture
Thank you!

Thank you, everyone! This is great information that I'll be using with the project I'm starting this weekend, huck lace bookmarks. I don't want to tie fringe because I want them to be as flat as they can be, so hemstitching will work best. Your kind assistance will be so helpful!

Thanks again to all!

Kitty

Michael White's picture
Kitty

You will find more information on making bookmarks here: http://weavolution.com/search/apachesolr_search/bookmarks

Michael