Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
21 weavers online | help

Double weave, Triple weave?

15 replies [Last post]
I weave too's picture

I'm new to weaving, and I'm intrigued with double weave. Great way to 'widen' your weaving width.

I have not done it yet, just read about it, and not quite conceptualized it in my head yet. So I was wondering could a person "triple weave" a 4s pattern on say a 12s loom? In an "S" type fold on the cloth beam. Or perhaps a "quadruple" weave on a 16s?

Can this be done?

I appreciate your input!

Claudia

Claudia Segal's picture
I don't have an answer to

I don't have an answer to your question but had to say hi to another Claudia.  Someone got us confused recently but our weavatars are very different.

Welcome to Weavolution and to weaving! You are definitely off to a good start in thinking about how to expand different structures.

Claudia Segal, Weavolution co-founder 

KPgreenweave's picture
double weave, triple weave

Hi Claudia,

Yes, you can weave triple and quadruple.  If you are weaving a plain weave, which really only needs 2 shafts, you can do quadruple weaving on an 8-shaft loom.  Look up Jennifer Moore.  She is a wonderful teacher of double weave who recently published a book on the topic.  I took a workshop with her and wove a little pair of pants!  Ready to wear straight from the loom.  Once you get your mind around it, double-weave is very fun.  Also, Jennifer's work shows the design posibilities of double weave, in addition to the practical aspect of making big stuff.

Kate

tien's picture
Yes, but...

...at some point, you run into a limit because the yarns are sleyed so densely that they can't pass each other in the reed, so you get a sticky warp.  Doubleweave requires 2x the usual sett, triple weave requires 3x the usual sett...by the time you get to quadruple weave you're talking 4x the original sett!  So where you would have had 2 threads/dent you now have 8.  That is a lot of threads to cram into one dent.

I weave too's picture
Cool! Cool! Cool!

I actually went to bed thinking, and then dreaming, about this. Before I read these post I woke up deciding it could be done. I'm so jazzed that it's true! Woo hoo! OK, you guys don't know me, but I really enjoy pushing the limits and doing what some say can't be done. Never say never!

Thanks Tien for bringing up a very good point about croweded ends, something I had not concluded yet. But it does introduce a different element to the idea. More to toy with in my head and on the loom!

And thanks Kathleen for the heads up on Jennifer's book, going to get it for sure. Just started my researching, in the back of my mind I think I recall an ad from Interweave??? No worries, Amazon and I are close friends ; )

And, "back at ya" Claudia! When I first joined this site (see my profile, it was in the early days) I was so excited to be able to use my real name on a site for once. I signed up so early, I thought for sure I'd be the first Claudia. Couldn't quite figure out why the system wouldn't let me use the name though...

Happy weaving to all!

TinaHilton's picture
Jennifer Moore's book

I bought Jennifer's book at Convergence after attending a class by Jannie Taylor on converting an overshot draft into doubleweave.  I was sitting here reading the book when I decided to fire up the laptop to see my library has another doubleweave book Jennifer recommended.  So far I've only woven a double-width blanket, some tubular material for tote bags, and v-shaped shawls.  Now I really want to use doubleweave for making patterns in the fabric.

I weave too's picture
So, was there another double

So, was there another double weave book Jennifer recommended?

TinaHilton's picture
I guess it would have been

I guess it would have been nice to include that, huh?  It's Doubleweave on Four to Eight Shafts, by Ursina Arn-Grischott.

I weave too's picture
Thank you, thank you! Can

Thank you, thank you! Can hardly wait to get started!

Claudia Segal's picture
I have a coveted copy of the

I have a coveted copy of the Ursina Arn-Grischott book.  It's very hard to find and it's an excellent book.  It takes you through the process step-by-step to a no-fail sample of double weave.  Then, she takes you on a marvelous journey of the double weave possibilities.  I rarely mention the book because I know how hard it is to find. 

Claudia

PS- You can change your username to ClaudiaW(or whatever the first initial of your last name is)

Double weave resources

Hi Claudia,

Paul O'Connor studied double weave extensively and shared his books, projects, notebooks, etc. freely through his website and through the handweaving.net. archives.

A doubleweaving tip I got from somewhere online...mount a small mirror on each side of the shuttle race so you can see when the shed is clear. Much less frustrating!

Enjoy your explorations.

Carie

tomrsey's picture
I just read Jennifer Moore's

I just read Jennifer Moore's book and watched the DVD.  Very well done.  I have started my first double weave project.  A pick design with straight line geometric shapes.   It is a lot of fun, and there is a learning curve.  The one thing I will do differently next time is to take more time winding on the back beam and be sure that ALL threads have tension.   Because of the density of the threads I wasn't thorough enough to insure that all threads have the tension they should have, (Jennifer did warn about that) and that has caused a few agravating moments.   But double weave is a blast and I am sure I will do more.

I weave too's picture
Thanks everyone for sharing

Thanks everyone for sharing your adventures in double weave, makes it so much fun to live it vicariously through this site...until I'm ready that is!

Thanks Claudia for the tip on the book, I've got my feelers out there searching...

danteen's picture
Double weave with side mirror

I have done quite a lot of double weaving.  Some with single ply Harrisville, when they were making it.  It was not too bad actually, but I installed a side mirror.  Got a mirror for a bicycle and took off its bracket.  It has a curve to its stem and pivots.  Then I screwed a block of wood into the side of my loom, at the proper height.  I had drilled a hole into it to hold the stem of the mirror, which was round.  If the hole is the correct dimension the stem will just stick in there.  (I practiced on some scrap lumber first.)   

I just plug the mirror into that hole when needed and adjust the pivot of the mirror to show me the shed at a glance.  It works great.  Though, it slows the weaving somewhat to take that look, there is no repairing the back side when you are finished.

metex's picture
Triple and 4 layers weaving

I have woven 3 layers  in which I have spred the threads of the middle layer so that there is not 8 threads in one dent. It was a kind of stiched double weave. That is I have 12 shafts to play with,  not always really enough, but that is also a challenge,- I like to do what is impossible!! It was a chequered pattern where the upper layer changed place whith the underlayer and the middle layer popped up as small dots. I am not very good at adding photos. Got some help with the double weave bags I recently posted.

Claudia Segal's picture
Sounds like you had fun.   As

Sounds like you had fun.  

As for adding photos, we have a video to help learn how to add photos to your posts here and a written explanation that gives all the details about adding a project here.

Hope that helps, we'd love to see pictures.

Claudia