Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
6 weavers online | help

10 to 12 Shafts on a Glimakra Standard

11 replies [Last post]
Dawn McCarthy's picture

My beloved AVL is gone to a new home.  I am now left with a behemoth drawloom a small 8 shaft Lilla and an older 4 shaft Glimakra which I was planning to upgrade to 10 shafts.  My question is, how does a Standard handle 12 shafts?  Any weavers out there who can answer, I would greatly appreciate it!

Dawn

cottageweaver's picture
12 shaft Standard

Hi, Dawn,

My Standard has 12 shafts. It had 10 when I got it, and I later added the extra 2. I don't always have all 12 on the loom. When I do, 12 shafts are no problem at all. With 12 shafts, the treadles are the same width as with fewer shafts. The Standard can handle up to 16 shafts, although with 16 the treadles are rotated so that the narrow side is up (need to be ordered with holes drilled appropriately). I find the narrower treadles a little more challenging than the wider ones, but the loom itself handles even 16 shafts fine. As long as you are ordering parts to upgrade to 10 shafts, you might as well add on two more shafts. Of course, you'll need treadles and lamms, also. I believe I had to order a longer treadle pin. The 11th and 12th treadles go outside the wooden supports for the treadle pin, but are held in by the cotter pins. I may have had to add longer pins for the countermarche assembly, also, to accommodate the two extra sets of jacks. Becky or Joanne can help you with those details.

Dawn McCarthy's picture
Thanks!  I already planned on

Thanks!  I already planned on 10 - but wondered to just bite the bullet with 12

Dawn

ReedGuy's picture
16 shafts

My loom is much like the Standard, so I would think 16 shafts is very possible. Sixteen shafts is a lot of tying up. 256 cords, lordy. That turns from fun to work. LOL :)

Dawn McCarthy's picture
Dear Cottageweaver - when you

Dear Cottageweaver - when you upgraded did you replace all lams (10 hole vs 12?)

Dawn

cottageweaver's picture
Lamms and Treadles

Hi, Dawn,

It's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure that I bought the new lamms (two each, upper and lower) and the two new treadles, then took the old ones and one each of the new ones to our local carpenter/cabinetmaker. He used the new ones to see what I needed, then drilled the additional holes in the old ones. It seems like the new lamms came equipped with 12 holes. Check with whoever you order them from to see if the new lamms and treadles already have 12 holes. If not, you can add two holes to each new lamm and treadle if needed.

I believe that the new upper lamms were also longer than the ones currently on my Glim Std, so he lopped them off to match. He countersunk the holes on the treadles the same as the factory-drilled holes.

We didn't try to drill them ourselves as we don't have proper equipment to align the holes and cleanly drill them. It's been a few years since I added the extras, so hope my memory is correct! I've had mods to several Glimakras along the way, some of which we were able to order and some we had done here.
Toni

Dawn McCarthy's picture
I see a difference in the old

I see a difference in the old vs new lams, how about the upper jacks?  Are they the same dimensions as the older ones?

Dawn

ReedGuy's picture
Dawn, also consider the

Dawn, also consider the centering of all the additional parts. I would start with the two new treadles being placed to the outside, one on each side and work up from that. Also if you have to crowd those new treadles, that means all those old lamm holes are a little wide now. Now it's probably not a big deal with just two new treadles. But if your adding 4 or more, not gonna work. Also with the jacks up top, do you have room in the jack frame to add two more and then there are the additional pulleys. It's not complicated, but there is lots of work.

cottageweaver's picture
Jacks

The new jacks are the same as the old one. I did have to replace the metal rods that the jacks pivot on to extend the width of the countermarch setup to hold them - easy to install. I also had to replace the treadle rod to a longer one to hold the extra two treadles. Again, no problem to do. Glimakra makes shaft holders for 12 shaft, too.
I'll add a new project under 'cottageweaver' and upload some photos of the treadles and jacks.

It's really not that much work. The jacks just slide onto the new longer pins and pivot just like the old ones. You have to add Texsolv for all the new tie-up cords, of course.
Hope that helps! Joanne Hall has a section on used looms where she lists some of the differences in the Glimakra looms over the years. This may be helpful to you, too.

Dawn McCarthy's picture
Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for all the help.  Joanne has also been great, I already obtained some new lams and shaft bars, I already have 10 jacks and 12 treadles, I have some baby blankets that I have to make which usually require 16 shafts, that loom is now gone and the blankets can be adapted to fewer shafts.  

Dawn

cottageweaver's picture
Baby blankets

You're welcome, and please show us photos of the baby blankets when you weave them. I am going to do one more of the plaid wool baby blanket in Treasure Chest of Swedish Weaving. I did two many years ago - one for a friend and one that I'd saved that I gave to our granddaughter when she was young. I have just enough yarn still safely away (I hope) to make one more for a friend's grandchild.

Toni

ReedGuy's picture
Good luck

Good luck with the upgrade or at least happy upgrading and then the new blankets.