Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
10 weavers online | help

Wanted: Bobbin Winder For Quills

7 replies [Last post]
Mindy Stowers's picture

I need a budget bobbin winder. Finally got all my parts for my loom and found a used swedish shuttle.  Hoping I can find a used bobbin winder that is reasonable.  Anyone got one you are willing to part with?  Can't wait to weave my first piece!!

Thanks!

Mindy

endorph's picture
Until I can

afford a real one I have adapted my electric screwdriver to use as a quill winder. It takes some coordination but it works!

Mindy Stowers's picture
I'll Try It

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

jander14indoor's picture
I had to do something similar

I had to do something similar recently.  I found a 1/4 by 6 inch bolt from Home Depot would just slip into the narrow end of my bobbins.  I wrapped a couple of turns around the bolt near the head for the wide end of the bobbin to wedge over and hold tight with no fasteners.  I then grab the bolt threaded end with the drill. Set drill down, operate trigger with left hand while holding drill still.  Guide thread with gloved right hand to give tension and protect hand from the heat.

Hope that's clear

Jeff Anderson

Livonia, MI

Cat Brysch's picture
Okay...this isn't fancy, but...

this silliness actually works quite well and fast. The photo tells is all.  On my Swedish bobbin winder, I use a 1 inch wide masking tape (about 2 inches long after turning back one end for easy removal) and I wrap the winder spindle and the quill at the last less-than-1/4 of an inch. Don't be shocked that this seems to fly in the face of decorum...it whorls around like it's going to fly off, but hasn't yet. This does work with my longer quills, too, which I rarely use. The quill loads in seconds!

Mindy Stowers's picture
Thanks..!

Thanks for your kind replies.  I think I found a bobbin winder.  I am going to give the drill a try in the interim.  I am sorry I have been out of commission and have not responded.  I had an unexpected surgery.  I am back on track now!  You all are the best!

Thanks,

Mindy

ReedGuy's picture
I've made a wooden one for my

I've made a wooden one for my home made pirns and futuer bobins. My pirns are hollowed out to slip onto the winder shaft which is 3/16" Ø rod threaded at one end to attach to the small wooden pully and wooden housing/race. I am amazed at how much more yarn can be wound on the 7" pirns than by freehand winding. I never measured it, but it's several yards beyond 10. ;)

This is feed by the swift here, but I have also tried it off the reel shown behind the swift. The one pulley you see in the photo is the larger winding pully with walnut handle. :)

ReedGuy's picture
I just measured, using a 60

I just measured, using a 60 inch tape, how may shots I can make across the loom and it's almost 20. So there is over 33 yards.