Check out projects, "saddle

Check out projects, "saddle blanket"

There is a least one weaver out there!

up
0 users have voted.
yukon's picture
Hi Judith, I am in the

Hi Judith,

I am in the process of weaving my first saddle blanket.  It's a weft faced 2/2 point twill using Navajo wool warp and Jason Collingwood rug yarn as the weft.  4 shafts.  I should be finished with the first of two today!  This pattern was veatured in Handwoven Sept/Oct 06, by Pamela Jones (pg 60).  It's very strong, but soft too.

-Margaret - Saddle Blanket handwoven sept 06Saddle blanket on loom Byram, NJ

up
0 users have voted.
Claudia Segal's picture
WOW

This looks great.  Have you added it to your projects so everyone can see?  Help is available here for Adding a New Project.  Once you do it, it's pretty easy going.

Looking forward to seeing the blankets.

Claudia

up
0 users have voted.
Bonnie Datta's picture
Here are some saddle blanket

Here are some saddle blanket tips:

The finished blanket should be roughly square, about 34" - 36", but can be smaller or bigger depending on the size of the horse and the saddle.

Use all wool (warp and weft) as horse sweat rots cotton and linen, and synthetics don't wick the moisture.  I use 2/12 wool warp (~ 1750 yards per pound) sett at 8-10 EPI.  For weft I use wool, 500 - 900 yards per pound, plied or singles.

The warp must be under very high tension in order to obtain a firm, weft-faced blanket.  Structure can be plain weave, but the blanket will be thin so it should be made twice as long and used doubled.  Double weave or 3/1 double weave are good as you get twice the thickness.

I like to put pattern on the edges for about 6", then weave solid to the mid-point where I put a stripe or design element that will help the rider get the blanket centered on the horse.

I wrote a piece for Weavezine that might be useful -- click  here.  This article describes the 3/1 double weave structure, and uses it to produce a pattern on both sides of the blanket.  Many riders like the fact that the two sides are different colors.

Bonnie.

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
This question is a little off

This question is a little off the wall.

If somebody has a narrow loom, say 20 inch wide, could they weave it in two strips 18 inch wide and sew it together?

Just wondering.

Have a good day!

up
0 users have voted.
Claudia Segal's picture
I suppose you could do that

I suppose you could do that but having a seam down the horses spine might not be comfortable for the horse with the weight of the saddle and rider on top.  

I am not a regular horseback rider so this is just a guess.

Claudia

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Or, you *could* use the

Or, you *could* use the double weave technique so the finished fabric was 2X the width of your loom (with no seam when opened up!)

However, doing a weft-faced boundweave would be quite tedious, and I would also be worried about the patterning on the underside layer, not being able to easily see if you made a mistake.

up
0 users have voted.
Bonnie Datta's picture
I think a baseball stitch to

I think a baseball stitch to sew it together would be fine.  I would then strengthen the join and conceal the seam on the saddle side with a narrow woven band.  This approach has the warp running lengthwise on the horse, unlike the way I normally weave, with the weft lengthwise and the warp crosswise.

If you want to get some patterning on the edges you could insert discontinuous wefts, tapestry-style.  Or your panels could be warp-faced and some of the techniques that Laverne has demonstrated could be used to make designs.

Bonnie.

up
0 users have voted.
Judith's picture
horse blankets

Thanks everyone for great information!!

up
0 users have voted.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /home/weavol5/public_html/sites/all/modules/boost/boost.module on line 4218