Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
13 weavers online | help

software for windows poll

14 replies [Last post]

So I am looking for software for weaving and wanted to take a poll on what everyone likes
I have both 4 and 8 shed looms leclerc

I am not to savey on computer so I need a pretty easy one to use and inexpensive or free
thx
Becky

up
0 users have voted.
thelmaweaves's picture
Fiberworks PCW

I currently use Fiberworks PCW, for the last 10 or so years, fairly easy to learn. You can see it here, they have a free demo program which allows you to design, but not save or print.

I also like ProWeave it has a lot of different capabilities. Here is their website, same restrictions apply for the demo version.

There are also a few free programs listed here. Try them all, see which you like the best!

Sharon

up
0 users have voted.
Chasinmendo's picture
Weave Point 7

I like my Weave Point v7 and there is one for Mac that is similat that I like a lot especiall since the Mac one gives you a cross section of the cloth showing the pathof the weft. I've checked out a number of them before I settled on Weave Point and that is the one I liked the best.  There are many that are funcitonal and less expensive and alomost all seem have a downloadable demo that lets you try the software for varying periods of time.  I just took my time and downloaded the demos and tried them out on projects I was working on.  I settled on Weavepoint but I must say I still do some things on spreadsheets.  I use my own calculation sheets for calculating amounts of yarn however.  I guess from years of useing spreadsheets I just have gotten used to informaiton in a certain way and I haven't really found a program that calculates material quantities better.  Good luck!

Best regards, Charles

up
0 users have voted.
Chasinmendo's picture
actually if you want cheap or free

You probably already have a paint program in your computer such as Windows Paint. You can use the pixel editor to determine the weft and warp crossings and see how your weae looks. I did that for a while before I decided to invest in Weave Point.

Regards, Charles

up
0 users have voted.
charles

thanks.. I have started downloading the demos and so far i really like the pixie loom, but I dont have $185 to spring on it

but thanks for your point of view

up
0 users have voted.
thelmaweaves's picture
Free Weaving software

can be found by Googling, WeaveZine's free weaving software issue online. I posted the links in a previous message but it is still waiting for admin approval, I guess because of the links. Try some of those, they're great for a start and you can get your feet wet so to speak. There is a variety.

Sharon

up
0 users have voted.
Sharon

as stated above I am in love with pixeloom but dont have the $$$ for it
I have been googling but wanted to hear what others habe used

up
0 users have voted.
tien's picture
I use Fiberworks PCW and

I use Fiberworks PCW and WeavePoint, and like both.  I think Fiberworks is the most commonly used software, but not 100% sure.

If you are on a budget, consider WeaveDesign from the Pikes Peak weavers Guild: http://pikespeakweavers.org/html/ppwg_we... .  It is donationware, meaning there is no charge but if you like it they do ask for a donation to help defray server costs.  For simple drafts it's pretty good!

up
0 users have voted.
pikes peak

thanks I downloaded it and am playing with it
:)

up
0 users have voted.
sally_libby's picture
I use PCW

I use Fiberworks PCW and I like it very much. I am not a very experience weaver and it has help me a lot. Sally

up
0 users have voted.
ReedGuy's picture
A freeware program to try is

A freeware program to try is DB-Weave. Comes with manual and tutorial.

http://www.brunoldsoftware.ch/dbw.html

up
0 users have voted.
Erica J's picture
I love Fiberworks PCW as

I love Fiberworks PCW as well. I use the Mac version, but used the PC Version at a workshop a few weeks ago. I learned a lot from that as the teacher knows the software well. I do have to say the common tasks are easy to figure out, but more than the basics you really need to be taught! It is inexpensive for what it does, but not free.

Cheers,

Erica

up
0 users have voted.
ReedGuy

thanks for the link
I just downloaded it and am working out a design.

up
0 users have voted.
ReedGuy's picture
When I upgrade to Windows XP

When I upgrade to Windows XP SP3  DB-Weave broke for me so I am using Weavedesign now.

up
0 users have voted.
Anja's picture
DB-Weave

Hi ReedGuy, thanks for your hint! Just looked at the app and it's nice to draft with, it's german and it even works with wine in my linux. :-)

up
0 users have voted.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /home/weavol5/public_html/sites/all/modules/boost/boost.module on line 4218