Welcome Guest. Login/Register.
12 weavers online | help

My Corner Of The World - April 2012

51 replies [Last post]
francorios's picture

My Corner Of The World - April 2012

Because of the popularity of this thread, we'll start a new thread each month!

The idea is to tell us what is going on in your corner of the world.
It does not have to be weaving related, but it could be.

Feel free to tell us about holidays in your country,
whether it is religious, or Independence day, or commemoration days.

Please include a picture when you add your post. Weavers are very
visual people. Please remember to downsize your photo before uploading.

Be sure to tell us where you are (city, state/province, country?)
This forum has members internationally.

Have a good day!

Previous Month - March 2012
http://weavolution.com/forum/chat/my-cor...

Next Month - May 2012
http://weavolution.com/forum/chat/my-cor...

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Welcome April!

It's April in Fiji, Greece, Serbia, and South Africa!

Time for a new edition of My Corner of The World!

Have a good day!

Franco Rios, Sacramento, Calif.

up
0 users have voted.
Tallahassee, Florida for a workshop

This is the way I'll begin April.  In fact, the workshop has been going on since Friday.  But we'll ring in April with one more day of tapestry weaving!

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
April Fool's Day

April Fool's Day is celebrated in many countries on April 1.

What is the tradition if your corner of the world?

Have a foolish day!
Franco Rios

up
0 users have voted.
r1mein54's picture
A great spring day

After rain yesterday and fog this morning in North Florida, it turned out to be a nice day. I did take up an email notice from florida_fiber_in@yahoogroups.com and met with members of Lake City Handcrafters.  It was a nice little visit - most there were knitters and several had brought yarn and needles and were knitting while they talked. I had carried with me some of my past and recent finished weave projects plus a notebook with photos.  OK, I was the only male there and the only weaver. I stopped on the side of the road when I was almost home to take a shot of the potato field. This planting is about one half mile square and is part of the "Black Gold" potato group that grows spuds for potato chips [Lays, Tom`s, Lance ect].

So back to the subject of weaving - still waiting on a yarn delivery for a "commission job", maybe this week.

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Steelhead Trout Release

This is the insulated refrigerated tank in the 2nd Grade classroom where my lovely wife teaches. This is where the steelhead trout eggs hatched on the blue gravel and they grew into smolts, about a half to three quarter inch long.

Time for the little smolts to go to the American River. There they will grow and drift down to the Pacific Ocean.

Here are the smolts in a container ready for the trip to the river. The blue gravel from their tank was captured in the little net when we
scooped the fish out of the tank.

Here is Franco pouring the fish into the river as a couple of local boys look on. Hopefully the smolts will hide under the log and the rocks, then start working their way down the river. With luck, they will go to the ocean and come back to this river to spawn (reproduce).

That red arrow points to a little shadow where one of the smolts is. The rest are hiding under the log and rocks. The blue gravel marks the spot where they were poured into the water, near the Howe Ave Bridge,
American River, Sacramento, Calif.

It was a good day!

up
0 users have voted.
LauraFry's picture
The March Lion appears to

The March Lion appears to have arrived - in April.  :)  It's been a fairly nice sunny day - with enormous wind gusts blowing the dust around, which makes it kind of icky to be outdoors.  :(  OTOH, I did finally make it into the studio, winding another towel warp and taking some photos.  Here are a couple of the finished towels:

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
Massive

tornadoes in the Dallas area this afternoon - the film footage I've seen is very scary. We have large thunderstorms moving into the Waco area - hope everyone stays safe.

up
0 users have voted.
Barbara Keyser's picture
Beautiful April Day

Spring came early to the DC area - Cherry trees bloomed a month early, the daffodils, forsythia and all came out together.  Then the trees started - it is very beautiful, but pollen count is awful high & allergies rampant.  Even so -  the weather has been so nice that last 3 months & today was exceptional - Sunny - breezy - just a bit cool - A PERFECT DAY to be alive & here.  Sun pouring in the window - finished 3 stuffed monsters for Easter -will post picture tomorrow.

up
0 users have voted.
LauraFry's picture
It snowed today.  :}  At

It snowed today.  :}  At least the snow knocked the dust out of the air?

cheers,

Laura

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Turtle Tree

My lovely wife Tracy took these pictures of turtles on a tree by the American River. That grey thing on the left side is a Great Blue Heron. Nice pictures for a cell phone. Sacramento, Calif.

Have a good day!

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
chocolate bunny

It's Chocolate Bunny Season!

Chocolate Bunny photo by Catherine Amundsen of Da Wabbit Wanch

This picture has been on my rabbitgeek.com website since 2006.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Inky's adventure of the week

Can you guess where Inky was this week? 

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
So Inky

is visiting with Any Warhol but where?????

up
0 users have voted.
LauraFry's picture
We are having another nice

We are having another nice sunny day and I'm dealing with administrivia rather than weaving - so far.  :}  Yarn order for sale at the HWSDA conference is next on the list - gotta get it in so I can re-cone, label and price it before packing it all up and schlepping it across the country - well part way across the country!  :^)

cheers,

Laura

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Inky & Andy, but where?

Inky doesn't like beer much, but here's a BIG clue...

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
REMINDER: After Easter

Reminder: After Easter the egg dye kits are on clearance sale.

Have a joyful Easter!
Franco Rios
Sacramento, CA USA

up
0 users have voted.
Michael White's picture
CANDY

Better all the Easter candy is on sale.

Everyone have a blessed Easter.

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
Here is

a pictyre of my backyard rose bush. For the past four or five weeks I have had one or two blooms on it but in  the past week it has gone crazy. Happy Easter!

The bush is about 10 to 12 feet wide and 7 feet high 3 or 4 feet wide.

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Cooper's Hawk

On Friday I heard a commotion overhead and it seems this Cooper's Hawk has just robbed a mockingbird nest. The coolest thing was a hummingbird that was hovering about 18 inches away from the hawk challenging it with "tchk-tchk-tchk" noises. Didn't get picture of colibri.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios, Sacramento, Calif

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Black Phoebe

This Black Phoebe is sitting on a fence near a swimming pool.

From my corner of the world, Sacramento, Calif.
Franco Rios

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
After Andy, another week, another location...

A colorful tunnel view between terminal B & C. (Do you know what airport Inky traveled through today?)

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
I believe

Inky is traveling through O'Hare International Airport in Chicago. Those walkways look familiar

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Yes, ORD it is!

Otherwise known as O'Hare Aiport in Chicago, Illinois. FYI, Detroit has a pretty coloful tunnel between their terminals, too. (But not as big and long as this one.)

After a day in Joliet, IL, we are now at location #2 in a different part of the country. If I am lucky, we're going to get to capture a fibers class tomorrow—woo hoo!

up
0 users have voted.
LauraFry's picture
We finally have rain - but

We finally have rain - but only a very gentle misting - enough to wash some of the dust out of the air, hopefully.  Meanwhile I'm on a place mat making jag....mom will be having her knee surgery on the 18th, I'll be staying overnight with her and will need lots of handwork to do.  Hemming mats sounds just about right.  :)

cheers,

Laura

up
0 users have voted.
Sarah D's picture
The autumn flowering native

The autumn flowering native shrubs are now blooming over here in Australia, attracting various nectar feeding birds to our back garden. This Eastern Spinebill  I tried to catch (with the lens, I hasten to add) was hovering under the flower; hard to tell his dimensions from the pic, but he has a tiny little body.

Eastern Spinebill, Australia

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
I ordered

my warping frame today - until it comes in I can go to my fiber shop to wind warp. Today started out as a wet and gray day in Central Texas but has turned out to be fairly nice - blue skies, some sun this afternoon and an almost refreshing breeze this evening.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
How to know you are *really* a frequent flyer

When you hit bad turbulance,

1) You are frustrated it is too turbulant to type on your keyboard. In fact, you are more worried the laptop may smack you in the face!

2) You turn on your Seismac to record your wanderings on the X, Y and Z coordinates

3) You take a photo to post. (yeah, sorry it's blurry, but everything was moving and it was hard to focus!)

up
0 users have voted.
Michael White's picture
Sally

I hope you remember RULE # 1 as a frequent flyer: ALWAYS KEEP YOUR SEATBELT FASTEN.

I have a friend, who is a stewardess, flying today to DFW. Flying into the eye of the storm.

Fly safe,

Michael

up
0 users have voted.
Leslie M's picture
Surely you can turn that into

Surely you can turn that into a nice echo weave, Sally!
Keep safe!

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
eastern spinebill

Sarah D,

I like the picture of the Eastern Spinebill. Great action shot!

I liked up the bird and it says they perch or hover to feed on nectar. Bigger than our hummingbirds.

Good looking bird. Thanks for posting!
Have a good day!

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Happy Easter (Orthodox)

Happy Easter weekend to our Orthodox Christian friends!

Have a joyful day!

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Holidays

Please feel free to tell us about holidays in your corner of the world.

Have a joyful day!

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
"Normal Air"

FYI, this is what "normal air" looks like.

No worries Michael! I wasn't about to take off my belt to retrieve Inky from the overhead bin for a photo. (And yes, I DO subscribe to wearing the seat belt at all times, just like in the car. After all, I still have lots of weaving left to try!)

For anyone who is afraid of flying, when you hit turbulence in mid-flight, it *really* isn't something to worry about, other than making a lot of folks uncomfortable. Keep in mind the pilot has three different directions in which to make compensation, and even with a sudden loss of altitude, there is plenty of space and time for a correction. 

I also have a friend who designed auto pilot programs. She actually went up with planes as they were testing her software in extreme conditions. (So that always gives me a huge boost of confidence!)

Sally

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
SWSG Saturday Group

The Saturday Group of Sacramento Weavers & Spinners Guild met on April 14 at Arcade Library. Our topic was "Spinning."

Above is an Indian box charkha (spinning wheel) that I just received as gift from Bonnie of Alberta Canada. I am showing members how the double wheel (accelerator) delivers a high ratio of twist in a small box.

Go to the blog to see more
http://francosfiberadventure.blogspot.co...

It was a good day!
Franco Rios, Sacramento, Calif.

up
0 users have voted.
First cranes!

of the year:

There were two, but the did not like my exiting the car... so this it the best I could do.

up
0 users have voted.
Sally Orgren's picture
Combining my 2 lives

Although work is the reason I travel so much, there are times when my two lives get to merge. Like today, when I was in the art building of my client college, and saw this piece on display in their gallery.

up
0 users have voted.
LauraFry's picture
Lots of songbirds as I walked

Lots of songbirds as I walked home this morning after dropping the van off to have winter tires exchanged for summer.  A little sun, a little rain, a little bit of spring.  :)

cheers,

Laura

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
Sally I love

your photo - what an interesting use for a shuttle! In my neck of the woods the stucco guys got the scratch coat on the new building, the dry wall is up and partially taped and mudded, the rock for the lower half od the building should be here this week and if we are lucky it will start to go up soon. Only about 7 weeks to dedication so the crunch is on!

up
0 users have voted.
bolivian warmi's picture
This was my view from the

This was my view from the last carriage of the train on my way from San Jose California to Portland Oregon a week ago....WOW! Spring is coming and going here. We have a fire going today. Lat Saturday we were wishing we were in shorts! I loved seeing Mt Hood and Mt St Helens with their winter coats.

Next stop Texas!

up
0 users have voted.
r1mein54's picture
We are having wildflowers

We are having wildflowers blooming in fields and along roadsides here in North Central Florida. Already feeling like early summer.

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
Here in

Central Texas it is a beautiful spring morning. Temperatures in the 50s, lower humdity and blue skies. The bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush have been gorgeous the last couple of weeks but they are now starting to fade. Next round of wildflowers should start in a week or so.

up
0 users have voted.
mrdubyah's picture
Talbot Looms

In 1904 Arnold G. Talbot and his wife used these 18th century looms (and several others) to run a successful handweaving business known as "Hearthside Looms" in Lincoln, RI.  They employed 8 full time weavers in addition to themselves until 1926, when they moved the business to Philadelphia.  The American Textile Museum in Lowell, Massachusetts, which now owns the looms, has loaned them back to Hearthside House for an  exhibit.  To give the exhibit life, the Weavers Guild of Rhode Island is weaving fabric on the looms using Talbot patterns.  This photo shows the warping in progress.  Come visit RI and see these marvelous old looms.  You can also learn more about Hearthside house, "The house that love built" at www.hearthsidehouse.org. 

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Spring in Calif

This golden bee is visiting the flowers on this tree. It's a male Carpenter Bee and it is a native pollinator. It's a bit over an inch long (3 cm). We are expecting temperature of 91F today.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios
Sacramento Calif

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Sat - Sacto Mo Fo

It's the Sacramento Mobile Food Festival (SactoMoFo). Featuring 29 mobile food trucks with different kinds of food for different kinds of people. Above, trucks are parked under the freeway and people are coming from all over the region to try out the offerings. Organizers said over 7,000 people showed up to the one day event which was open from 11 am to 6 pm. My lovely wife is in the bottom photo lower left in sunglasses.

Clockwise from upper left: Hawaiian shaved ice is pretty, Gypsy mobile boutique has cute stuff but nothing in my size, I just had to have a picture of bright red Volkswaffle truck, and there was a long line in front of the NomNom truck but no line behind the truck.

In a recent blog post Laverne Waddington mentioned that she spotted handweaving patterns showing up as prints on clothing. I found a few myself.

Have a good day!

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Moon and Venus

Moon and Venus from Sacramento Calif around 9:30 pm. The second and third brightest objects in the sky after the Sun.

Have a good night!

up
0 users have voted.
endorph's picture
Beautiful

photo Franco - thanks for sharing - we were overcast last night and gray and gloomy this moring as well so no view of the night sky. Supposed to clear off by noon and be bright and sunny -

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Random public holidays

Public Holiday

4/25/2012 Australia, New Zealand
Anzac Day

4/25/2012 Italy,
Liberation Day

4/25/2012 Portugal,
Liberty Day

4/25/2012 Iran,
Martyrdom of Fatima

4/26/2012 Iceland,
First Day of Summer

4/26/2012 Israel,
Israel Independence Day (Yom Ha`Atzmaut)

Have a good day!

up
0 users have voted.
francorios's picture
Twining on the commute

I am working on a twining sampler based on “Techniques of Rug Weaving” by Peter Collingwood Chapter 13 Weft Twining.

Reference book “Techniques of Rug Weaving” by Peter Collingwood

Chapter 13 Weft Twining, available for free download in PDF

Go to this page

http://www.handweaving.net/DAItemDetail....

Download this file: cp_rug1_4.pdf

This is 9.6 MB file is #4 out of 5 files that comprise the entire book which was posted for free download with the permission of Peter Collingwood's sons. It has clear diagrams, is available for free.

I'm working on my bus/train ride commute to work when I can tear myself away from the stupid "Solitaire" game on the cell phone.

I am also reading "The Ravens Tail" about a twined robe technique from the Pacific Northwest, a craft that is earlier than the Chilkat twined robes. It came to me in a gift box of goodies from Bonnie in Alberta, CAN. I've heard of this book and I admit that when I first skimmed through the book the hair on my neck stood up. I was electrified by the pictures. I already have some ideas for my next twining projects.

Visit Cheryl Samuel's website: http://ravenstail.com/

That's my corner of the world, Sacramento, Calif.

Have a good day!

up
0 users have voted.
paulz's picture
April bees

Having put off delivering the church magazines to my corner of the village until today - we've had horrible weather for the last week - I decided that as the sun was out I had to go.

After delivering half of the magazines there in the hadge was a swarm of bees. I have been wanting to start bee-keeping again for the last 3 years. And now I have.

Still got to get the shed finished, potatoes planted, cider bottled, collect fleeces from railway station and .........

Paul

up
0 users have voted.
graciela's picture
Fool´s day and Labor Day

Hi Franco. In Argentina, Spain and others countries, the "Día de los Santos Inocentes" ( Day of the Holy Innocents) is celebrated in december the 28th. and it remembers the day, 3 days  after the birth of Jesús. Herodes ordered this massacre.  .  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_the_Innocents#Feast_days

Small jokes do the people in this day. What is the spirit of the day in USA? Greetings from Argentina for all. 

Tomorrow is the  Labor Day ( Día del trabajador). Happy day for all!!!

up
0 users have voted.
graciela's picture
I like this so much, Franco.

I like this so much, Franco. And it is more creative than the solitaries!

In the book The Chilkat dancing blanket by Cheryl Samuel,  there are some twining examples. 

http://www.sheldonmuseum.org/chilkatblanket.htm  ( an interest page about this subject). Have a nice day! 

up
0 users have voted.

Fatal error: Call to undefined function mb_strlen() in /home/weavol5/public_html/sites/all/modules/boost/boost.module on line 4218